Author Topic: Knife for my boy  (Read 2143 times)

Offline M2A

Knife for my boy
« on: May 05, 2022, 01:27:00 am »
Been kicking around the idea of building a knife to go with a bow I'm building for my youngest boy as a present for earning Eagle Scout rank. Didn't figure I'd have the time or the right resources to knap something that I was happy with. Last week someone gave me the most ugly, beat up white tail shed. Not sure what I saw in it but the voices in my head thought it was the perfect handle material for what I wanted. Figured I had one shot to get it done in time and figured I'd take some photos along the way as some extra motivation to not screw it up. So here we go.

Had to dig down in a bucket of Nethers flint ridge material to find a piece I thought would work.
IMG_4569 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
I wanted to do my best to conserve as much lenght as I could. Of course the end I didn't check when I dug it had some crumbly stuff in it so lost some from that but was able to get a preform out of it.
IMG_4570 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Not the most pretty preform but things were still going well for me. In fact I took this photo because I figured in the next few thinning flakes it would snap. But was bale to get it close to what I wanted.
IMG_4571 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Still needed to even things up a bit, but started getting real nice pressure flakes overall and figured it was good enough to haft up. But first I had to work on the handle.
IMG_4572 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
This is what happens when meets the plow, disk, then the culti-packers. Like I said it was pretty beat up. I cut it to length and took a soft wire brush to it to try and remove some scale, from weathering, on the outside of the antler. I thought it was looking real good so figured I'd haft it up with pitch glue.
IMG_4573 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
After looking at this picture I was not happy with the antler. Still too much of a weathered look. Figured I'd try some walnut hull stain to see if it improved the look of things.
IMG_4582 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
That worked well. Started to feel pretty good about the project at this point. Never doubt that voice in the back of your head :o Had some sinew and pitch varnish from Don  Burchett to use to finish up the haft. I got to say nothing smells better than that pitch varnish. It has thickened up a bit but was perfect for covering/waterproofing the sinew. Plus the amber color gives things a good look.
Was going to try and add some more to it, even twisted up some cordage. But adding anything else would just not look right IMO. I did burn in the date he passed his boards on the scar left from removing the brow tine. So here's the finished project.
IMG_4584 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4585 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4586 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Because the walnut stain is water soluble I did give the handle a light coat of rattle can lacquer to lock in the stain. Had been considering making and Otzi style sheath for it but think I'm going to call it good at this point.
Thanks for following along. Too late to proof read. So hope it all makes sense. Just wish I could figure out how to get the lightning right in my shop to show the flake scars a bit better. When I dont try you can see them and when I try and get the light just right they all wash out.

Mike

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Knife for my boy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 06:50:45 am »
Great story Mike and a fantastic looking knife! Your boy is gonna love it, well done.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 07:38:03 am »
That looks like a winning combination Mike.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 10:05:55 am »
I like it.  I recently made a knife and was wondering what to seal the sinew wrapping with.  I don’t have pitch varnish, do you recommend anything that would have a similar look to yours that I could possibly get from a store locally?

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 04:23:49 pm »
Nice work

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 09:14:37 am »
Thank you, Allyn,BJ,Wolfman, and Rob.

Wolfman, I never tried anything different on the few things I have ever hafted. If I were to try something I would start with some TBIII mixed with a drop of Transtint wood dye. I tested this last night with some red dye I have, worked well after drying. No shine to the finish and a little transparent. Even more cheap might be mix in some cool aid or food coloring dye of your choice to the TB(orange). Thats where I would start. Hope that helps you out. I'd be interested in seeing the results if you try anything like that. I suppose people have done that but I have never read about it here.
Mike