Author Topic: Ash Molle Deflex/Recurve sinew backed, 59"ntn(otb) 51#@28" "MilkyWay"  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Just beautiful, fantastic job
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline rps3

Just a spectacular looking bow. Love it.

Offline Hamish

+1 for WOW!
A masterpiece for sure.

Offline Flntknp17

IMHO, this is the most fascinating and impressive bow I have seen posted on this site.  Just a wonderful job all the way around and I'm really intrigued at the way this community is pushing the frontiers of wood bow construction. 

Matt

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Absolutely beautiful
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Beautiful bow, very nice in all aspects. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline simk

sincere felicitations Martin - what a wonderful bow - you definitly surpassed yourself! please invest these 50€ and get a subscription again - there's good chance for bow of the year I would say - even if it's only May now  (-S
these levers for sure are very special on a bow like this. these combined with the long ears of the string will definitly lead to a special fdc with very high early drawweight until the string lifts of - as you described. these long ears will also make the bow more stable and...the long ears also allow a shorter string than it would need with short ears. I have studied this topic with my bows a little. very interesting! wish you and your family all the best! thanx for showing
--- the queen rules ----

Offline GlisGlis

Man I'm wearing the mouse wheel out just by switching from one picture to another
such a beauty !!
those levers are really something and the overall impression is awesome  :OK

Offline backtowood B2W

Thank you for the nice words!!

this Idea is simply awsome. As I said awsome bow, never seen something like this before. The lever shape is so beautiful and I very curious about weight reducement to the levers. also ash has often the problem that the recurves go back again but this (Id like to say architectural genius strike) sure gives some sability. The grates point in design I think is the fish skin + the lever shape - man it looks like a sting ray. awsome job dude!!!
Thank you rowan bows  - needed some time to see the stingray in her - would have been a cool name too. And that's not a fish skin its snakeskin - Morelia viridis - just blue. Google it and you will see why it was a pain in the @§§ to dress her up. They are more triangular shaped than round.

sincere felicitations Martin - what a wonderful bow - you definitly surpassed yourself! please invest these 50€ and get a subscription again - there's good chance for bow of the year I would say - even if it's only May now  (-S
these levers for sure are very special on a bow like this. these combined with the long ears of the string will definitly lead to a special fdc with very high early drawweight until the string lifts of - as you described. these long ears will also make the bow more stable and...the long ears also allow a shorter string than it would need with short ears. I have studied this topic with my bows a little. very interesting! wish you and your family all the best! thanx for showing
Thank you Simon! I also recognized the shorter string. I thought it came from the bridges which increase brace height too, but yes the loop goes straight to the bridge and not on the recurve belly. OK, I subscribed again - would be cool to have this mystery hat 8) and I miss the mag too.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
So glad to hear you subscribed again.

The whole while I was looking at the pictures I was thinking we were going to have to take up a collection, because both of those bows deserve a vote.

Very nice B2W

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Blink

Re: Ash Molle Deflex/Recurve sinew backed, 59"ntn(otb) 51#@28" "MilkyWay"
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2022, 07:26:03 am »
Gosh! So far the most beautiful bow I've seen on here.
I'm still using drawknife the majority of my build, what tool(s) did you use to carve your unique recurves?

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2022, 04:29:15 pm »
Thank you bjrogg and blink.
Gosh! So far the most beautiful bow I've seen on here.
I'm still using drawknife the majority of my build, what tool(s) did you use to carve your unique recurves?
I used a half round chisel (10 and 6 mm) for the roughing out. smoothening the surface with a card scraper. Closer to dimension I used the card scraper - which I made myself - a piece of Spring steel with 4 different little radius in the corners and some key files and chainsaw file.
I will try to take a pic of that tools...

bownarra

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2022, 02:49:46 am »
Really nice bow. well done.
You could probably lose a fair bit of weight at the recurves. Anything handle side of the string contact point could be working limb. If you look at the thinnest point of the working limb and make your recurve a fraction thicker than than point. That is all the thickness you nee to stop them bending.
you could probably have added a little more reflex when the sinew was drying but thats about it!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2022, 12:20:30 pm »
you could probably leave it as is,,and it would be perfect,, great work,, :)

Offline Will B

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 01:15:31 pm »
Great looking bow!  The name of the bow is perfect. I can tell you put a lot of time and effort into every detail of this bow. Thanks for showing it to us.