Author Topic: new old stock Nicholson rasps  (Read 1271 times)

Offline TimBo

new old stock Nicholson rasps
« on: May 04, 2022, 03:04:02 pm »
If anyone is interested, Taylor Toolworks has a limited stock of made-in-USA Nicholson half-round fine cut rasps (12") for twenty bucks a pop.  I just ordered a couple.  They look like they might work pretty well for bowmaking!

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: new old stock Nicholson rasps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 09:05:21 am »
When I saw this post I initially thought these might be #49 and 50s, there was a guy on eBay selling NOS 49 and 50s for $20 each about 3 years ago. I bought one #49 and should have bought them all at that price. 

That is a good deal on the rasps you mentioned.

As a side note I sent my initial 25 year old #49 and 50 to Boggs tools to be re-sharpened after I got the new one, When my rasps came back from Boggs they were just the same as new. I never realized just how dull they were until I got a new one. After getting my old rasps back I put the new one back in the plastic sleeve well oiled for the future, just in case.

These are probably my most used bow making tools after a drawknife and scraper, from the left there is a #49, a 50, a Nicholson half round wood file and of course a chainsaw file for nocks. They all have osage handles which I like to make as a diversion when I need a break from bow or flintlock gun building.

Left of the files is my branding for for marking the tillering gizmos that I make.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 09:09:23 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 03:37:47 pm »
+1 on the Boggs sharpening service. They do a fine job on files and rasps.  :OK

I have two of the 49's and one of the 50's.
Great tools for bow making,stock shaping and lots of other stuff.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 07:11:27 pm »
I don't have either a 49 or 50 to compare these with, but they are marked "Smooth" and seem like a pretty fine cut.

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 06:45:10 am »
I ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 09:01:34 am »
One more thing; sometimes we get something that warms our heart, look above the files to the right and you will see a thank you card. I am known locally as the guy who can make strings for old traditional bows, the manager at the local Dick's sporting goods is my friend and directs people who are looking for a string to me.

A youngster called me and asked me if I could make a string for his fiberglass bow, I asked him to measure his bow, wrote down the measurements, made him a string and mailed it to him, for free of course. He called back and said the string was a little too short so I made him another one, this one fit perfectly.

A few days later I got the hand made thank-you card in the mail, to say it warmed my heart would be an understatement. I keep it above my workbench to remind me that there are some very special little ones out there who are being raised right, this young fellow was 9 years old.

I have sent out close to 300 gizmos to adults for free, I find that about 20% of the guys I send one to never thank me or acknowledge their receipt of my gift. That card on the wall in my shop has been there for close to 20 years and reminds me that there are some really great people out there and just a very few duds.

I have to add a disclaimer, I don't send gizmos to everyone who asks, just to newbie people who are actually making a bow and I notice from their posted pictures that their tillering ability needs a little boost.