Author Topic: Long knives question  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Long knives question
« on: May 11, 2022, 06:20:41 pm »
Any of you guys ever use longer knives for game processing?  Blades with a cutting edge greater than 7 inches. If so, how do they perform compared to a smaller hunting knife?

I'm sitting around watching Hadza hunting videos and I noticed that their knives tend to be rather long.  Many blades in the 7 to 10 inch range. 

I've always used shorter knives in the 3 to 4 inch blade size for field processing.  The Hadza tend to use these longer blade, sometimes butcher knives, to do everything from small and medium game prep to arrow and bow construction.

I'm wondering if they know something I don't.   Or, if it's a situation where it's not the best knife for any one job, but the length makes it more versatile for a wider variety of tasks.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline mmattockx

Re: Long knives question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 07:32:17 pm »
I usually use a custom gripped Fallkniven S1 for my field processing. The blade is a bit over 5" and is pointier than what most use for gutting. I like the extra reach and sharper point for getting into the tougher cavities like up into the neck as you split the ribs off the sternum. I do have to be careful around the stomach area with it, though. That pointy end will puncture organs easily if I'm not paying attention.

Mark

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 10:23:45 am »
I think they carry minimal tools with them so they tend to choose something that is good for the wider range of uses (personal defence included)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 12:43:22 pm »
I've got a blank on my work bench that's similar to a Bark River Bravo 2, but with more belly in the tip and an 8" cutting length.

I may just give it a try this fall.  Worst that could happen is I carried the weight for nothing.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 10:13:03 am »
I like a knife with a 4" drop point blade. Seems to be a useful and comfortable knife for the deer woods and around camp. More than that seems like overkill for my situation. I also carry a RR spike hawk for heavier work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 10:55:33 am »
I see no advantage to using a long knife when processing game, squirrels to venison a 4-5" blade is about all I use.