Author Topic: Wildlife burning my hunting grounds  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Wildlife burning my hunting grounds
« on: May 10, 2022, 01:33:51 pm »
We've had the Cerro Pelado fire burning here in the Santa Fe National Forest for about two weeks.  It's been steadily moving toward the Los Alamos National Lab and reached a point where the labs and schools have all shut down.

We're in the ready stage for evacuation for Los Alamos.  Took some stuff down to Santa Fe and we're staging other stuff in the living room

This has been an interesting ride.  After a potential tragedy looms for long enough I really find myself only caring about the important stuff and letting insurance worry about the rest.  A week ago we wished we had a horse trailer to load up with stuff, but now we're worn down to only really caring about what we can fit in the Jeep and the truck.

Some of the forest areas where I hunted elk and small game last year are gone.

If the evac isn't mandatory then I will probably send my wife and kid to Albuquerque, and I'll stick around till it either becomes dangerous,  the air quality gets real bad, or they make it mandatory.   Don't worry, I'm NOT a hero and NOT looking to try to save "stuff".  Just don't know how I'll handle weeks of sitting around someone else's city home with nothing to do and all day to do it.  Plus the chickens and dog complicate things.

Don't pray for us, we'll be all right, but instead send your thoughts or prayers to the fire fighters on the front lines.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline paulc

Re: Wildlife burning my hunting grounds
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 04:20:27 pm »
Hang in there.   My wife and I were flooded out by both hurricanes Matthew and Irma...The waiting to see what will happen is def tiring.  "just get it over with so we can move forward...."

Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 05:55:43 pm »
Stay safe. Gonna pray for you all too.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 10:32:20 pm »
Thanks guys.

We actually had some pretty blue skies today.  Wind wasn't as bad as it has been, at least in my area.

Ran some errands with my 11 year old and could see the smoke plumes from the fires in Las Vegas, NM.  Looked almost postapaclyptic.  My daughter asked if it  was a volcano erupting
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 01:48:04 am »
Stay safe!  We have had to change hunting areas a few times, but never had to stand by to evacuate!  Hopefully the winds shift and push the fires back onto themselves!  Those are some huge fires!
Hawkdancer   
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 12:42:50 am »
Prayers for ALLfighting or being displaced by this fire. II have not been home since 75% of my home town burned last year.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 12:53:58 am »
Received optimistic info today.  They've made some progress containing this fire,  enough so that the kids will be back in school on Monday unless things take a big turn for the worse this weekend.

Bummer to hear that, Ben.  I have always been fortunate that I've never experienced any man made or natural disasters.  Would watch them unfold on TV but now I have a whole new perspective and empathy that you just don't get till something effects you.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 07:50:33 pm »
The new growth will help your hunting.