Author Topic: Need help with first warbow tiller  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Walski

Need help with first warbow tiller
« on: May 23, 2022, 12:35:06 pm »
This is my first Warbow, and I need experienced eyes to tell me if my tiller is OK.  It's 68" NTN, left limb is the bottom and it's 65# at 28".

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Need help with first warbow tiller
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 03:26:15 pm »
1. Is it braced when you measure 65#@28" ?
2. if it is 65#@28" it is unlikely to get beyond 75# at 32"
3. That picture doesn't look like its at 28" ... Ah, just spotted it... the picture is distorted :(  ::) So it's hard to make a sensible appriasal.
4. Right limb outer 1/3 looks a bit stiff
5. If you want a warbow draw weight and draw length (say 100# @ 31-32"), you need a longer stave, at least 70-72" ideally 76-78"
Del
PS. I down loaded the pic and it came out undistorted... my point 4 still applies.
I suggest you mark 22, 24,26,28, 30,32" in big bold numbers so it shows in photos.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:57:23 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 02:40:32 am »
Both mid limbs are bending too much,right limb is worse - you need to work on the outer limbs. Tiller should be elliptical. Handle bends almost imperceptibly. Then as you move tipward the bend should increase. As the wood gets thinner it can and should bend further. Tiller logic. Match the bend to the woods thickness. Every wood has an optimal bend radius.

Offline Walski

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 12:40:03 pm »
I appreciate your comments, this helps a lot.   Del, I can see the right is stiff on the outer third, and Bernarr, how do I prevent the limbs from bending too much at this stage of the game?    When it was heavier in draw weight, it was more elliptical until I tried cleaning up the tiller.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 02:22:33 am »
A nice thickness taper is bow making in a nutshell :)
too thin - bending too much, too thick - limb stiff.
With nice even thickness/width tapers you are going to struggle to break a bow :) Judging the rate of taper is the trick! An elb will typically have a taper rate of around 0.009" per running inch....at least that will get you in the ballpark.