Author Topic: Tiller chek?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Doug509

Tiller chek?
« on: May 28, 2022, 01:29:25 pm »
Can I please get a tiller check.   In this photo I am pulling 48 lbs at 6" draw.  I think I need to remove some mass closer to the handle fades.  They are still pretty stiff 8" out from the handle.  Tip of the right limb is also a bit stiff.

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Tiller chek?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 02:10:19 pm »
Are the limbs twisted? They look that way.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 02:16:13 pm »
More off mid limb to tips on left side . And yes at fades. A tad more on left fade

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 03:14:13 pm »
i cant tell till its braced,,

Offline Doug509

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 03:16:55 pm »
Thanks.   I'll make some adjustments then proceed with getting a bow string on.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 11:21:39 pm »
The left limb looks as though it has a little propeller twist in it as selfbowman said.  If it does I would be trying to address that first.  Just a thought.  Best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 05:45:11 am »
Usually when a propeller is shown it is there even at rest.This one shows itself as you draw.I'd check your limb thickness's to be even on all edges.
In the future you could shorten up your long string too.
Tip movement @ 48#'s is enough to brace it once.
Once there things will reveal themselves and move along faster.
Top view profile would be nice to see also.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 05:50:36 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Doug509

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 01:40:50 pm »
Now that I have a  bow string on it's pretty obvious what needs fixing. To correct hat propeller twist on the left limb do I remove wood from the side that is flaring up or the low side? 
Thanks for the advice

Offline Kidder

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 01:51:25 pm »
Check out the post on limb twist that is a sticky thread.
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.0.html

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 04:13:38 pm »
I wonder if you’d be able to correct some of this with some heat and oil or seam it out with a form perhaps.  This way you could get things aligned better with the string in better alignment with handle.  I would maybe start with getting a correction at the handle section to get the bow little straighter to get the string more in middle of handle.  It’s not a huge deal to have the string favour the side the arrow Shoots off of but a little heat for your situation might be good to start with.  I would maybe then work on using  a little heat correct some of the twist.  I also might be inclined to reflex the left tip area to match the right again with some heat.  I think you’ll have a better idea where to remove wood after that to get it the way you want.  It’s hard to say for sure as I don’t think you say what king of wood you got there.  If you do steam or oil with heat give it lots of time to cool (sitting overnight) and over correct slightly as it will return some of your corrections.  Best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 02:32:58 pm »
I can never remember which way to take off wood to fix twist,,maybe some heat as suggested,, and bend the handle area a bit to line it up,,,you can see how much the tiller changed when you strung it, thats why I just use the long string tiller as a very rough guage,, if you can get some of the twist out,, it will still shoot good with some twist,, but it looks like you are moving in the right direction,,

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 08:49:44 pm »
The best time to take the propeller or other undesirable crookedness out is before the tiller is started. But yes I have been where you are with your bow. 🤠 It’s going to be a shooter l can tell. Heatas much of the propeller out that you can . Then correct the limbs at the fades to line it up. That’s what I would do. Good luck with your build. Arvin

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 02:28:21 am »
How long is it?
what drawlength are you after?
You need to alter the handle fades.
Also do not pull it so far. Just bracing it was enough to see what needed doing. I personally wouldn't have braced it until at 20" of draw (with a tight to the belly string).
don't stress about the propeller twist. If your limb edge thicknesses are close to each other - it doesn't matter at all. If your thicknesses are off then address that first.

Offline Doug509

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2022, 09:25:49 am »
I sure do appreciate everyone's guidance. You can probably tell I'm new to this craft.   Decided to use heat to adjust the twist. Next on my list is to build a jig so I can heat and move the handle to improve string alignment.  Should have done that before tillering.  BTW It's a stave of vine maple 68.5" NTN. 

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2022, 11:51:23 pm »
Don’t have any experience with that wood. But that’s the way I would address Osage hickory and black locusts.