Author Topic: Hickory Harvest  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Buckskinner

Hickory Harvest
« on: June 17, 2022, 06:48:01 pm »
After hearing the results of my MRI I decided to test out my rotator cuff and boy did I!  Went out looking for a nice hickory and found 2 that caught my eye, one was very nice the other would have given 2 good lengths then got a little kiddywhompus.  The nice one was about 80 yards from a trail, the so-so one was right on it.  I should have taken the so-so...

Dropped it right where I wanted it to and got 4 good heavy lengths out of it.   Should have plenty of staves for the foreseeable future.

After pulling bark off of a winter hickory and one now in June I will never do it in winter again, all the bark came off in one piece! The only downer is no cambium camo.  Going to make an arrow tube like BowEd did, that is just what I need.

Hopefully get them split tomorrow and hopefully my arm does not fall off.

Offline Hamish

Re: Hickory Harvest
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:23:40 pm »
Nice score. Hickory loves to check. If you haven't already sealed the back yet, slap on some glue etc, to seal it.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 12:33:57 am »
Nice haul. Looks like shagbark hickory.  My personal favourite bow wood.  You’ll be able to make some nice bows with that stuff.  Like what was said already. Get a sealer on the exterior and ends.  I use poly to seal mine.  If your arm heals up in the next month you could start draw knifing out a bow while still fairly green.  It drawknives nice green.  Get it to floor tiller shape and  Clamp it to a form.  dry it in the sun for a week or two and heat treat it once you get mc down to below 10% and make an awesome bow.  Good score and best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 04:35:25 am »
Nice looking haul.The stuff will dye easily too if you like.
Drying the bark around a pvc tube of say 3 to 4 inches for a month or 2 worked for me.To let it set out not around something it'll curl up very tightly and unuseable.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 09:18:17 am »
Thanks for the advice, I need to seal the back yet did the ends with shellac yesterday.  And sure is shagbark, it's the dominant hickory around here. 

I have some 4" pvc somewhere for the bark.

Heading out to split soon, my shoulder feels surprisingly decent today.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 10:00:11 am by Buckskinner »

Offline Will B

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 07:35:25 pm »
That’s a nice batch of hickory staves. Should make some nice bows. Good luck with them

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 12:54:52 pm »
Got it all split up last Saturday and have a nice pile of with lots of potential.

Also made an arrow stand in the fashion of BowEd's with the bark.  I like it!  Have several more sections still drying on 4" pvc.  I probably took it off a little early as the ends curled a little but has stabilized and holds plenty of arrows.  My wife likes it as well and want some shorter one for going around a vase for flowers.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 02:29:27 pm »
nice work, congrats :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 09:04:59 am »
Got it all split up last Saturday and have a nice pile of with lots of potential.

Also made an arrow stand in the fashion of BowEd's with the bark.  I like it!  Have several more sections still drying on 4" pvc.  I probably took it off a little early as the ends curled a little but has stabilized and holds plenty of arrows.  My wife likes it as well and want some shorter one for going around a vase for flowers.
Nice work....When originally making mine in the past I had intentions of using them as a quiver,but they are too heavy and bulky for that.
So using them as an arrow holder is good too.Rawhide,leather or furred hides make much better quivers.
I think we have one here that holds peacoock feathers.
I like to use the shagbark itself for smoking deer hides.Very convenient.When the hide is set up to smoke,just a short stroll through the woods gets my smoking material.Does'nt hurt the tree one bit.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:12:16 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed