Author Topic: I need an experiment performed  (Read 2101 times)

Offline sleek

I need an experiment performed
« on: June 19, 2022, 06:09:15 pm »
It anyone is game to do this id love to see the results. I'm away from home for awhile otherwise is do it myself.

Here is the idea: Take a straight bow and draw it to full draw ( or slightly less to avoid breaking) on a tiller stick. Lay the stick and bow on the ground and mark the back of the handle and where the string nocks are on the ground.

The take the tips and recurve them as much as you like, the more the better, string contact at brace at a minimum is preferred, and repeat the above.

What I am looking for is did the tips travel further from the back of the bow or less distance from the back of the bow handle when recurve and drawn. A grid pattern may help measuring.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mmattockx

Re: I need an experiment performed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 09:51:15 pm »
Are you looking only for the horizontal tip movement? The recurve will have less movement in that direction, but the tips will move vertically in towards the center of the bow more, so the total distance travelled may not be very different between the two.

Brace height may affect the results as well, but I've never looked at that before.

Mark

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 10:35:55 pm »
Are you looking only for the horizontal tip movement? The recurve will have less movement in that direction, but the tips will move vertically in towards the center of the bow more, so the total distance travelled may not be very different between the two.

Brace height may affect the results as well, but I've never looked at that before.

Mark

I am actually looking for both and your conclusion is exactly what I am hoping to see. Glad you fully understand, I was worried I wasn't clear

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 12:54:03 am »
Why??? :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 01:27:20 am »

Just trying to get a better idea of the dynamics that make a bow work the way it does.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 02:21:25 pm »
I dont quite understand,, could you explain a bit, couldnt you just do it with a piece or wire or something,,shaped like a bow
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 02:30:23 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 06:51:23 pm »
I dont quite understand,, could you explain a bit, couldnt you just do it with a piece or wire or something,,shaped like a bow

A small thing like that wouldn't scale the dimensions well. Also if I'm looking for a half inch difference over say, 64 inches, I'd never notice it across a small piece of wire

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 11:23:42 pm »
Maybe they could trace both drawn profiles right over the top of each other. Then you could see the entire limb dynamics.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 02:07:02 am »

Just trying to get a better idea of the dynamics that make a bow work the way it does.

Yes but what I'm asking is what do you think this will prove and why do you think it matters :)
Best to model this. Wooden bows have too many variables from one to the next. Get some glass strips then most of the variables are eliminated or drastically reduced.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 12:16:17 pm »
The take the tips and recurve them as much as you like, the more the better, string contact at brace at a minimum is preferred, and repeat the above.

I forgot to ask before, would you want the bow retillered to suit the recurved tips or do you just want to see the effect of recurving the tips with no other changes? To really get the answer I think the bow should be retillered, then tested.

Mark

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 03:50:24 pm »

I forgot to ask before, would you want the bow retillered to suit the recurved tips or do you just want to see the effect of recurving the tips with no other changes? To really get the answer I think the bow should be retillered, then tested.

Mark

Yes retillered as you stated. Sorry I should have mentioned it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 03:53:39 pm »

Yes but what I'm asking is what do you think this will prove and why do you think it matters :)
Best to model this. Wooden bows have too many variables from one to the next. Get some glass strips then most of the variables are eliminated or drastically reduced.

I have a theory that I'm looking for more sample data for. I don't want to say what it is just yet, because I don't want to influence results with any bias. It may turn out to be nothing at all, and if it's nothing, I don't want to embarrass my self by making unfounded claims publicly.

You are correct of course about glass.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 10:13:49 pm »
In my opinion it all depends on the mass placement. In a recurve for example the recurving adds mass but gives you a better force draw. The balance of the mass in that  is what will give you a better performing bow. To much mass on the ends will negate the force draw results in my opinion. Course that’s not worth much. 🤠🤠🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 10:45:29 pm »
I agree there, you can design and build the perfect bow and ruin it by having mass in the wrong spots. But these measurements I'm after are not mass dependent.