Author Topic: Wood shop / bow shop suggestions  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Kidder

Wood shop / bow shop suggestions
« on: June 21, 2022, 12:22:07 am »
So I’ve ventured to turn my pole building shop into a proper work shop, well part of it at least, and move my mess from my garage to the new shop. The shop is 40’x42’. The work shop build out is approximately 11’x40’. It’ll be a woodworking/bow workshop. I’ve framed it, insulated most of it by now, run new electrical (220v and 110v on the taller wall) and 110v on the shorter. Installed a mini split heating and cooling unit. Right now I have a bandsaw, belt sander, miter saw and ceiling air filter and will shortly add a dust collector. From their the plan is to eventually add a table saw, jointer, and planer as money permits. I’m looking for any and all suggestions of things people would do - layout, tools, organizing, what you wish you would have done differently etc. Thanks!

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Wood shop / bow shop suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 08:54:21 am »
I would suggest if you buy a dust collector, put it in an adjacent room and run your piping through the wall. My dust collector is so loud I couldn't carry on a conversation with someone when it was in my shop. I put it in the adjacent room and don't hardly hear it now. My dust collector is 220v and I put a remote starter switch on it and keep the remote over my work bench.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 09:00:51 am »
Here are the pipes coming through the wall into my shop and the remote starter switch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:41:21 am »
I would set up a vice that you can access from all sides, on a stand bolted to the floor or set into the floor.
Get good, LED lighting so you don't have shadows over your work areas. Also a wood rack to store staves and partially completed projects.
 You have enough distance to set up a short targer range with a good backstop.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 11:38:52 am »
I set up my shop just like your photos, but after years of using it, I would strong suggest putting everything on the floor instead of the walls...it's a real pain! 
(Just kidding of course...it looks like you will have a great space!  I second the LED lighting suggestion.)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 08:21:34 pm »
I’ve often thought about a vice I could put in center of floor so I could work from any side to. Maybe even have so its stand would slide in another pipe cast in the cement floor so it could be removed it you needed the room.

Clint had a really nice stave storage area under his bench that swung open so he had nice access to them.

I definitely second good lights.

For myself I work in our farm shop and storage for staves, arrow shaft materials, knapping supplies and tools, furs, feathers, horn, antler, sinew, leather etc. is always a growing inventory.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Kidder

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 01:29:13 am »
These are all great ideas (except putting everything on the floor - I too have tried it!). Some of them I hadn’t even thought of! I doubt I’d be able to get away with putting my dust collector in the other portion of the shop due to size (and now electrical constraints) but that is a really good idea. I do intend to put a short range in as Pat mentioned. I’ve also struggled with the vise idea. Really the only solution short of a stave bench I can think of is to put it right on the corner of the end of the bench and have it swivel outwards.
I’ve attached the mock up I did (kind of fun) with the end goal tool wise and one with the placement with the current tools I have. Big difference, but someday… Does anyone see any problems with it so far?
Biggest question I have is dealing with the unmovable aspects - the work bench. I’m planning built ins with lots of drawers and overhead cabinets, except the last 4-5 feet near the middle of the shop end where i will have my vise and intend wall storage for scrapers, files/rasps, and draw knifes, end storage for hanging items like rulers etc. And be right beside the tillering rack. I had originally thought 26’ of cabinet bench’s but 20’ seems to fit better.
I’m also thinking about putting in a track system in the bench to use for clamp downs and for miter saw cut off stops. Anyone have any experience with them and thoughts?
Finally, what would people recommend for a cabinet/bench top surface material?
Long post but fun thinking of it, and plenty of difficult to change decisions are approaching.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 08:58:01 am »
Here is my workbench; I built a frame with 4X4 corner posts and and 2X10s for the top. I made my bench top 42" high instead of the normal 36" so I could work on bows standing up and not bent over. My bench is so heavy it won't try to walk across the floor with heavy drawknifing on a stave.

One of my bow students, he is about 6' 2" tall, like I said, no bending over.

The two center sections with drawers are prefab cabinets I bought from Lowe's, I built my frame to be the exact size to slide these cabinets in with a tight fit. Initially I had shelves on the ends but came back and put two more drawers, one for my gun building files and straight chisels, the other for drill bits and my carving chisel set. I like my drawknives and wood files on the wall behind my bench.

I have two vices and a support post on each end of the work bench to hold my staves and guns in position for heavy drawknifing or gunstock shaping.

I do a lot of wood bending on my support posts.

I have a holster for my heat gun on the end of the bench as well.

To keep down clutter I made this set of shelves to house all that stuff that ends up on a workbench if not stored properly.

Lastly I made a free standing bow lay out/glue-up table, this thing is really handy, c-clamp storage and easy to walk around during a glue up. It is too light to do any bow work on but could be beefed up and attached to the floor if someone wanted a walkaround bow building bench.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:22:24 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Kidder

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 12:42:43 pm »
Thanks for the ideas guys. I’m pumped to call it done! Got plenty of open floor space. Plenty of space for tools and lots of countertop space. The countertop material choice was the most difficult. However a cabinet maker friend advised to just use melamine on the top and that way I can replace it easy enough if needed and also not have to worry about spills. I’m be got my vice well mounted and two steps away from my tiller rack. just need the eventual table saw purchase and possibly an out feed table. But as far as construction, Calling it done (might eventually build an upper cabinet though).  Excited to get back to building!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 03:34:19 pm »
Nice!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 04:26:26 pm »
Can’t wait to see it with a bunch of bows hanging all around. Got a pretty nice start on the one on the tree.

I’m kinda getting crowed out of my little corner right now. Beet digger parts everywhere.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 08:44:47 am »
WOW, nice shop, you should be able to get a lot done it that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good