Author Topic: Canvas tent camp for this fall's hunts  (Read 1315 times)

Offline BrianS

Canvas tent camp for this fall's hunts
« on: September 18, 2022, 11:06:32 am »
Hello Everybody,
I had a retirement dream of hunting longterm out of a canvas tent camp.  I've hunted out of tent camps before but never longterm because I always had to be back to go to work. Well I'm retired now and it is almost the start of bow season so  guess it is time to start my dream. I setup this camp Friday and hope to use it for october and early november hunting. Will probably change a few things as the season progresses.
Take care,
brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_m4XY_1MM                                                                                                               

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Canvas tent camp for this fall's hunts
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 12:22:55 pm »
Nice hunting camp you have there Brian.

Good luck hunting and thanks for sharing

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 12:28:13 pm »
Nice set-up.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 02:38:48 pm »
Nice quaint set up Brian.Fun part about putting together these camps is that a lot of it you make yourself.I've known of Panther Primitive for over 40 years.That's some good canvas they use.Should be a good year for a good hunt.That's a good dream you've got there.Good luck.
Back in the 80's and 90's when rendezvousing never thought much a bringing a camera along.Should of though.Strict rules about everything being primitive at those.
Lots of equipment went along.All the ropes and stakes.Self contained kitchen/tables/chairs/cooking equipment/bees wax candle lighting and storage boxes mostly made out of local walnut/red cedar/and oak.Even made a trailer once to pull everything around including the tipi poles.
I started out with a bakers' lean-to camping from R&K lodges.After making so much stuff through 2 winters to take along to sell to the pilgrims I sold that and went to a 10' by 12' wall tent with stove and squaw cooler from them too and went to a few froze foot rendezvous's to boot.
After a few years of that I went to an 18' tipi from Spring Valley Lodges a few years and sold that or someone else actually wanted it more than I did.
Following year I bought another sioux dimensioned 14' hunting camp tipi that sleeps 2 people and gear easily.That still uses a 15 pole setup plus 2 smoke flap poles.Harvested and stripped my spruce poles up in northern Minnesota.Made a 2/3rd's ozane for that.I bought another 8' by 10' wall tent again.I still have those 2 camps yet.
Usually always set up my own camp myself.
When I retired I set myself up with hunting ground all around me and own a small 80 acres myself to hunt on myself from the house.
Living my dream over here with the primitive hunting.Should be a good year.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 05:19:53 pm »
Bjrogg - thank you and good luck to you also.

White Falcon - thank you

Bow Ed - thank you. I have 3 trail tarps (a 10x10 canvas, a 9x9 oil cloth and a 7x7 oil cloth), a large wedge, several dining flys and a one pole hunter tent fom pather primitives.  They make excellent canvas tents. I spent one of the best nights of my life in a tipi. I have always wanted one. Maybe some day.

Take care,
brian

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 07:38:49 pm »
Forgot to mention.....Like the idea of leaving branches on your center pole.Can't have enough places to hang things.It's always good to have extra tarps and rope....ha ha.
The only draw back of using a tipi is hauling the poles,but with a little ingenuity 22 to 23 foot poles for a 14' tipi can be hauled on the rack of the truck legally.The larger the tipi the longer the poles.
BowEd
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 03:37:31 am »
Brian - Enjoyed the Video. I was amazed, that My Camping set-up is almost identical. Been using Panther for years, can't say enough about the quality of Thier products ! Only difference, My Hunter Tent (12x12) I got the extra Door and the Awning that attaches over the Door. For a Cook Shack, I use a Baker Lean-to. Hope You have a Bountiful Fall - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 07:49:12 am »
Nice set up, love it.  :) My set up is not quite that primitive.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 07:22:35 pm »
Brian, my camp is also very similar to yours, I have the same 12X12 Pyramid tent from Panther and also really hate the door and I am thinking about some how changing mine to a tipi style door. I have a 2 dog stove for rough winter and will dry all my mittens and soxs on the ole one pole with limb stubs. Stayed a week in deep winter bobcat trapping and lived like kings , frosting on the cake got a cat also, had a wonderful camping trip too, Your kitchen area looks great nice set up. Later Bob  :-T ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 06:33:21 am »
One time along with a few other times I spent a tenuous time with a dozen others from our club by a little town.Our buckskinning club would donate a multiple set up camp for towns' yearly celebrations.The club would get paid by the town but members would donate our time to show them a primitive camp.
Had my spring valley tipi set up there then.A tornado came by within a 1/4 mile of us late in the day while it was light yet so we could see it.It was touching down off and on.We could see by the direction of travel of the tornado it was going to go by and just miss us.Sure glad I had my center rope staked down.The tipi vibrated but stood like an oak through it all.I heard from the locals that an 1.5" of rain fell in about an hour then.We stayed nice and dry through it all.
Been through some bad windy thunderstorms at night with my tipis.Wall tents in the lower limbs of trees in the morning.One storm early after dark I had my tipi filled with about 8 other campers till the storm got by.We all stayed dry as a bone again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:27:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 07:14:52 am »
Filmed this video the other night at my tent camp. No storms that night. May have some stormy weather later this week when I am there.
This video is titled Hunting Camp - Evening Time in Camp
Here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MdpKd-oHIE
I hope to make a few more from my tent camp this season. No internet at camp to upload the videos but there is a town with a library with internet access somewhat close that I may see about using their internet to upload when I am at camp longterm.