Author Topic: More hidework  (Read 13792 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: More hidework
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2022, 07:46:00 am »
Happy you're well and in force again
Those hides are real beauty !

Ditto Ed

Nice work as always and I bet you turn them into something really nice to.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2022, 07:47:33 am »
The iconic whitetailed deer is suited for garment leather.Especially using the soft version of brain tan.
There's something about what brains do to the feel of the leather against your skin.Very pleasant.
It takes around 45 to 50 square feet of leather to make a shirt and pants outfit for a man.Depending on the size of the individual.A little less using leggins.
It takes around 30 to 35 square feet for a semi short sleeved dress for a woman.Depending on the style of dress that is made.

It may be hard but it's best to accumulate a bunch of hides before doing garment projects.Using hides that match the best for thickness because they can vary quite a bit.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 04:01:58 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2022, 08:31:53 am »
Looking very good ED, glad you are up and going again. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2022, 06:34:28 am »
I talked a lot about scars on these deer hides.To me scars tell a story.The older the deer the more stories.A lot like people.
There are many books out there about brain tanning.Some go into the finer details of problem solving and some don't.
Superficial scars while dehairing are not easily seen.Those are scars that did'nt completely go through the hide and usually are never a problem.An example is a barbed wire mark on the back of a deer.
Ones that do go through the hide are easily seen while dehairing and sometimes after fleshing.Mostly appearing in the flanks of deer.Those if not carefully dehaired around can turn into a big hole in your rawhide if your scraper is not razor sharp.
Dehairing with the grain of the scar and not crosswise to catch the scar and make a hole is the best bet to avoid making any holes.Many times it's best to just sand the epidermis away from over scars especially in the flanks.Scars are hard compared to regular leather and will never soften.
It's going to look unique after smoking the scars on these bucks around the neck areas.As scars do not smoke as dark as the rest of the areas and will be revealed after smoking.
Lots of pin point punctures the size of a soybean seed from other bucks antlers going into their necks from fighting during the rut will be seen from this latest buck.He fought a lot it looks like.
It looks like one of the does had been hit by a broadhead in the back in years past also.Plus the usual scars that can appear in their flanks etc. from punctures.I've seen 3 way lined scars in deer before from previous hits by tri-bladed broadheads in hides I've brain tanned.
Someday I'd like to find a broadhead stuck in a vertebra  that was grown over and healed.I've seen pictures of it happening from freshly killed deer.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 05:22:10 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2022, 10:18:44 am »
Missed ya at Mojam Ed. Glad to see that you are back to gettin' it done.
Hope all is going well for you.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2022, 04:24:16 am »
Thanks Paul.I'm sure you guys had a great time.I'll be there next year.Probably with a few items to sell or trade.I miss the fish fry Jon puts on too.Delicious!!!!!He's quite a guy.Makes tons of bows into any style too.

I laid out my full length pants pattern out onto these 2 buck hides.Looks like it'll work out.Need to smoke the recent hide yet.
To get full length pants pipes the larger bucks do this.Even on leggins.It's extended body length and the wider extended necks on these that get them their.

Good winter time project.

Does' hides most times will make very nice long type shirts.Here's one of a few I made.

They can make pants or legginns also with a splice below the knee.

I should just sell this pants as I won't need it anymore.

I have many books here with information and pictures on the old and new styles of clothing the plains indian wore.
Simple but effective is usually the main theme.Some can be quite elaborate.
Here's a long type coat I made many years ago using 7 doe hides with a little beadwork on it.
I've replaced the ties with buttons since this picture.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 05:46:19 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2022, 04:33:43 pm »
Got the buck hide smoked.A little character shows on his neck from punctures of other bucks antlers fighting during the rut as I stated in reply 48 he was a fighter.
These 2 buck hides I'll use for my full length pants.The puncture scars will show on the lower part of the pants pipe.Got them matched up color wise pretty well.

The neck thickness on this buck is around 3/16" which will be on the bottom cuff end of the pants.Plenty thick.The rest of the hide is 1/8" thick.

The elk hides' thickness averages around 1/4" which is actually too heavy for garment leather IMO.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:04:24 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2022, 05:48:12 pm »
Looking really good Ed.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2022, 06:54:06 pm »
It's been beautiful,pleasant weather lately.Cool dewey mornings turning into warm pleasant days.I'm smoking 1 hide a day now.Finished one of the does today.She had a nice scar on the back side of here neck.Not from a hunter I don't think but you never know.

I enjoy sewing the hides to be smoked outside by the woods listening to all the bird chatter out there.We have tons of song birds around us here.Occasionally seeing deer,turkey,or quail too.The cooler it gets towards fall the more the activity will pick up with animals getting ready for the winter.
For the least amount of waste sewing by hand is the best.1/4" stitches Right to the edge with a whip stitch that are snug for a good tight seal.Thicker brain tan I sew the edges together.

Holes that are not sewn or plugged [sometimes holes close to the edge are not worth the time sealing] can be sealed with a wad of tissue paper.The smoke will go right to the edge of the hole nicely.Any smoke escaping will leave a very dark spot.Even paper thin leather from a knife slit skinning  will be darker also.
A person wants to stay away from creating too much draft with this type of smoking as the smoking material can ignite eventually and your hide will get burned up in the process.Unplugged holes will create this.Very disappointing.I baby sit the process throughout.I keep a squirt bottle of water nearby in case of any flare ups.
You want to create a nice balance of just enough draft air to keep the coals hot but not too hot.Sealing the hide tube well helps slow the draft down considerably.
A small 2" high 8" circle of coals is all you will need to smoke a hide.Using too large amount of a coal pile will create too much heat and dark streaks onto the hide plus too much heat and leather does not mix well.I use osage for coals and hickory bark for smoking material.
While smoking you should be able to stick your hand inside the smoking chamber and leave it for at least 20 seconds or as long as you like.
It leaves a very pleasant smell to the hides smelling like hickory smoke.Robin loves it in the house.
Some think smoking a hide from over a stove and stove pipe could be the solution to avoiding burning up a hide.It can if the hide is quite a distance away from the stove over the stove pipe.Heat directly above a wood stove will easily get over 5 to 600 degrees.It is one way to stay away from breathing any of the smoke though and will work well if baby sat also.
My set up only takes a few minutes to set up and can be put away for later.

The buffer skirt that I sew onto the bottom of the tube I will sew on with my machine.I don't mind losing a 1/8" or 1/4" of rump leather as it's very thin and only useful far as I'm concerned for fringe or lace.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:23:08 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2022, 09:21:47 pm »
There are many ways to smoke a hide or in this case a deer hide.I've tried them all it seems.
Hanging in a tipi or shed or sewn into a tube.Hung from a tri-pod from their neck or from there back end.Even over a hole in the ground from a tri- pod.

That reminds me I once steam heat shrunk a circular section of raw hide buffalo hide shoulder over a hole using heated rocks in the hole with water thrown over the rocks.The hot steam increased the thickness of the rawhide by 2 to 300 percent.I was making a shield.

For the past 40 years I've used an 18" section of a 30 gallon steel barrel and a tri-pod for smoking deer hides.A 30 gallon barrel is about the same circumference as the circumference of the back end of a normal deer when sewn into a tube.
The skirt sewn along the bottom edge of the deer hide is a buffer from heat to the leather laying against the steel barrel.I overlap the 2 ends of the skirt by around 4"  to create a storm flap type of closure while smoking.

Last but not least while smoking I try to keep the hide free from folds or inaccessible places the smoke won't be able to get to.I've gone to using fish hooks and string tied off on one of the legs of the tri-pod to keep the hide completely open into a nice tube.Even the odd shaped deer hides.It'll give the hide a nicer evenly smoked look.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 09:45:03 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline TimBo

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2022, 10:29:59 am »
Lots of great tips here from someone who obviously has a ton of experience.  I have a hide backlog right now - there are a bunch of dried ones that need softening, and a few that just need smoking.  I never seem to have a nice uninterrupted chunk of time to get into them...maybe this year! 

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2022, 12:38:30 pm »
Thanks for the story and pice, talent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2022, 02:26:41 pm »
One nice thing about this type of tanning is that the rawhide or brained softened hide will wait till you get around to finishing it if it's stored properly.I try keep up with it over here.Smoking it can be done any time of year or temperature.
You are right I've been doing this longer than most on here have been alive and have done hundreds of hides.I still can go into my own glory when I finish brain tanned hides.They are unique.Wonderfully soft and tough as rawhide because all they are really is softened rawhide.
I'm truly surprised as to the lack of interest into these type of skills on this forum with all of the more primitive type outdoorsman people on here.It's a gift that keeps on giving.

"Ai'nt nothing like brain tanned leather"

There's many ways to do this as I stated earlier.I've refined my way to be totally predictable when I do it.I try to comment on every difficullty that might be encountered.
Another day,another hide smoked.Pictures are pretty self explainable.I try to keep the smoke pretty intense throughout.I add smoking material around every 10-15 minutes to keep the intensity up.Using hickory bark [a thinner material it coals over fairly quick] it creates some good heavy smoke.

Check it at 45 minutes and move on.The side against the skin for clothes is usually a little darker than the outside or hair side.

I usually smoke mine fairly dark compared to most.Reason being is these hides can be washed in a regular washing machine if you like and scuffed back out soft.Getting wet from the river or rain or washing will fade the smoke color a little each time.I like to start out with enough color to go quite a while before needing to resmoke it.Washing it does even out the color nicely if desired.Quill and bead workers usually like it a little lighter.
Resmoking a garment will need to be done in a shed or a tipi.Hung up out in the open to let the smoke adhere to the garment.
My hides will usually be a little tacky after smoking.After smoking the hide should be rolled up or folded and left to set a couple days to let the creosote dry out completely.
They can be scuffed over the rope a few times then and be ready to use.

Smoking this way forces the smoke completely through most deer hides.Smoking in a shed or tipi it can go through fairly well also but not as much I don't think.One good thing about smoking that way is that you can smoke a number of hides at 1 time,but it will take a little longer.8 to 12 hours or longer.Safe way to smoke them and you won't need to babysit the smoking procedure for fear of burning up.Just check the color occasionally.
In a tube it takes me normally around 2 to 3 hours per hide.You can see the smoke showing through already on this hide.

Some of my smoking material right outside the door of the tractor shed.
Smoking in a quiet windless enviornment is best.Too much wind can create an excess draft and the smudge fire can ignite and burn your hard work.Plus the smoke job onto the hide will look streaky as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:09:47 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2022, 03:12:53 pm »
The hides are smoked and ready to be used for something.I have a few projects planned.
Everything is put away for the next round of hides.A person never knows though what will transpire during the winter though with some furred animals.
Kind of a long detailed display of the steps done [2 months' worth off and on] showing this hidework process but if it can help someone to do their own and enjoy it as much as I do and avoid some of the mistakes the better.
Onto other tasks around here before the winter comes.Finishing up with the garden & canning & freezing.Get the ground ready for next year.Some bush hogging,and one of my most anticipated events of the year the deer season within a month.
Rechecking all my stands for sturdiness and shooting lanes.The deer crop looks good around here.
Robin said she seen a huge 12 point cross the road in front of her going to town.Said it was huge....interesting!!Lord knows we got plenty of does around here.
Well the golden rod is beginning to bloom along with the black eyed susans.The sumac is turning red and the walnuts' leaves are beggining to turn yellow signaling the end of summer.The nut trees will begin to drop their nuts and acorns soon.
A special time of year.
Here's to the present and what can be.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 03:57:48 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Piddler

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2022, 07:29:35 pm »
We appreciate you sharing the knowledge ED. I still have a deer couple coons and couple beaver to do If it cools down a bit.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"