Author Topic: 2-piece Takedown Sinew backed Osage Recurve 51@ 28  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 2-piece Takedown Sinew backed Osage Recurve 51@ 28
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2022, 07:19:02 pm »
Beautiful bow, love everything about it, mighty fine work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 04:40:26 am »
Very nice bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 11:30:38 pm »
Very, very nice work. A  two piece takedown is on my wish list. I assume you obtained the materials for the takedown sleeve from Big Jim and I was wondering if you had any tips for those of us who have never done this type of sleeve?

I actually just used 2” fiberglass mesh and EA-40 epoxy…. Nothing fancy. I’ve learned a few tips that I will pass along.
1. Use 1” wide fiberglass mesh if you can get it. It will wrap the best with the least amount of bulges.

2. Calipers are absolutely necessary in order to get correct measurements of the tendon before you chop the bow in half.

3. I like a .90-.100 taper in thickness and a .40-50 taper in width in the tendon on the bottom limb. These measurements are taken from the end of the tendon to the middle where it is cut in half.  The tendon has to be tapered with no high spots whatsoever.

4. Draw as many reference lines through the tendon and riser before you cut the bow in half. These will become very valuable when trying to line it back up. Draw the reference lines both straight through and diagonal on the riser to ensure the bow alignment is good.

5. Make sure the bow is firmly clamped and perfectly aligned in the jig before starting to wrap the mesh on the handle. Spend the time it takes to get it aligned and clamp it well so it doesn’t get bumped and shifted in the process.

My biggest piece of advice is just to give it a try, experience is the best teacher 👍🏻

Cheers,
Taylor
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:26:59 am by silent sniper »

Offline simk

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 03:03:58 am »
....as good as it gets  :OK i bet this one showing up with nice numbers through the chrono!
thanks for presenting - I will follow your advice and just give it a try - somewhen then  :)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 02:00:53 pm »
Very nice bow SS.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 03:06:42 pm »
Going to flight travel soon and I would love to have such a bow in the suitcase...will give this a try for sure someday. The snakeskin is beautiful - I'm wondering what reason for the rawhide between skins and sinew - do you think the snakeskin is not enough protection?
Thanks for showing!
B2W

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 04:03:06 pm »
beautiful congrats,, (-S

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 11:13:19 pm »
I'm wondering what reason for the rawhide between skins and sinew - do you think the snakeskin is not enough protection?
Thanks for showing!
B2W

B2W, the rawhide was just a personal preference of mine, I intended to add the rawhide over the sinew from the very beginning. The snakes were just to dress the bow up a bit.

I’ve had bamboo failures in the past on my laminated bows and I’ve learned that a rawhide backing makes a wooden bow extremely robust and the odds of a failure on the back of the bow drop tremendously. It’s cheap insurance that’s worth it to me.

My view on it may change with more time/experience, but for now I’m a fan of rawhide.

Cheers 👍🏻

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 06:31:55 pm »
Wow! That is a beautiful bow S.S. Great job on the take-down sleeve, also.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Wyzat

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 09:53:05 pm »

[/quote]

I actually just used 2” fiberglass mesh and EA-40 epoxy…. Nothing fancy. I’ve learned a few tips that I will pass along.
1. Use 1” wide fiberglass mesh if you can get it. It will wrap the best with the least amount of bulges.

2. Calipers are absolutely necessary in order to get correct measurements of the tendon before you chop the bow in half.

3. I like a .90-.100 taper in thickness and a .40-50 taper in width in the tendon on the bottom limb. These measurements are taken from the end of the tendon to the middle where it is cut in half.  The tendon has to be tapered with no high spots whatsoever.

4. Draw as many reference lines through the tendon and riser before you cut the bow in half. These will become very valuable when trying to line it back up. Draw the reference lines both straight through and diagonal on the riser to ensure the bow alignment is good.

5. Make sure the bow is firmly clamped and perfectly aligned in the jig before starting to wrap the mesh on the handle. Spend the time it takes to get it aligned and clamp it well so it doesn’t get bumped and shifted in the process.

My biggest piece of advice is just to give it a try, experience is the best teacher 👍🏻

Cheers,
Taylor
[/quote]

Thank you for that information. Yep, experience, along with a few pointers is a great teacher. Again, wonderful work on that bow.

Offline M2A

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2022, 08:34:36 am »
Great looking bow SS! Cool take down.
Mike