Author Topic: Sick from working yew?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Aksel

Re: Sick from working yew?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 07:46:10 am »
For me it was walnut first, then osage, now just about any wood dust will make my eyes and nose run like a faucet for the next 12 hours or so. Like George I get the same from mowing the lawn. I finally started wearing a 3M cartridge respirator for both wood work and lawn mowing, this completely eliminated my dust problems but takes some of the joy out of wood working, wearing the mask is cumbersome.

I have read that there is an acupuncture procedure to reverse the allergic reaction response to red meat caused by an Alpha Gal infection from ticks. When I looked into it it appears that the procedure may reverse the bodies response to other allergies as well. I met a guy at lunch the other day who had a friend that had the procedure, I asked him to ask his friend how it came out but haven't heard from him.

I know a guy who had really bad hay fever for 6 months of the year, he hated to go outside in the summer because of it. He took an acupuncture treatment for it and it went away almst 100%. But in this case I suspect it isnīt the dust but the Taxol in the sap.
Stoneagebows

Offline meanewood

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2022, 10:32:23 am »
I already suggested you were absorbing the toxins from the sap through the skin of your hands.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 01:18:36 pm »
I already suggested you were absorbing the toxins from the sap through the skin of your hands.

Yes, I saw that. It seems likely to me that you are right. I will use gloves with not fully dried wood in the future. And a better mask for sanding.
Stoneagebows