Author Topic: 54# ERC ELB  (Read 1518 times)

Offline organic_archer

54# ERC ELB
« on: July 07, 2022, 11:11:13 am »
Here's a simple ELB-esque bow built from ERC. It's 72" long with a round belly. I went with jute-wrapped nocks and paper-thin goatskin backing for this one. It developed tiny compression fractures throughout both limbs about halfway through the tillering process, but it didn't seem to hurt anything. You can only see them when holding the bow at just the right angle in sunlight. It took no set and had a very minor deflex kink in the upper limb. No heat corrections or heat treatment.

I don't get much enjoyment from working with volatile or finicky woods, so I won't be making bows from ERC often. Just had a really clean stave sitting around and couldn't resist. It's been shooting great for 500 shots or so. Might break someday, might not!

ERC Longbow
72" overall length
54# at 28"
Wrapped jute nocks
1.5" wide

Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

gutpile

Re: 54# ERC ELB
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 11:51:54 am »
love erc.. sinew and erc are like peas and carrots.. yes it can be finicky but if backed with sinew.. it is incredible.. very light wood.. bow looks great .. sorry to hear of chrysalis..  gut

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 10:27:30 pm »
Not to mention the amazing smell!!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 07:46:37 pm »
Looks sweet. Well done
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 06:21:45 pm »
Beautiful bow, love the looks of ERC. have made a few nice bows from it only using the sap wood, not as pretty but holds up better than the heart wood at least for me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good