Author Topic: How do you deal with dog-leg/snakiness in mid limb?  (Read 758 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
How do you deal with dog-leg/snakiness in mid limb?
« on: July 25, 2022, 08:53:05 am »
I am just about on the long string on a yew D-bow, 54" ttt.  I am way over weight at the moment, its just starting to move, about 35lb for two inches movement on a long string.  Anyway, there is a dog-leg mid-limb with a knot in the centre of it. There is no way to straighten it out but it has pulled tip alignment off the side of the handle and the bow twists hard on the tree as soon as I try to bend it.  How do you deal with snakiness in a limb?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:08:15 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: How do you deal with dog-leg/snakiness in mid limb?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 10:10:21 am »
Don't shape the handle yet so you can account for the off-kilter string. Leave the nocks wide...a good inch to help track the string better.

What is do about the stave wanting to twist on my rope and pulley is I give the string a slightly pull and note which way it wants to twist.  So  if it wants to wist towards me I cut the nock grooves further on that side.

Pater on you can pretty up the nocks and handle.

Hopefully, you left enough wood at the handle and nocks.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 10:15:49 am »
Don't worry about it until first low brace so you can see how the string tracks. You may not have to do anything to it.
 Like George said...leave the handle area and nocks wide until you see how the string tracks too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bambule

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:02:18 am »
As said above - maybe aligning the tip with heat, which works well for me with yew, is a future option.
If you build needled tips the correction with heat is easier than with wider tips - Simon at stonehill-primitive has a great Howto to correct tips with heat on his site.

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany