Author Topic: DELIBERATE COLD EXPOSURE FOR HEALTH  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Buckskinner

DELIBERATE COLD EXPOSURE FOR HEALTH
« on: July 24, 2022, 04:35:40 pm »
Have you guys ever done cold water baths to reduce pain and inflammation?   My buddy sent me a podcast from a neurosurgeon named Andrew Huberman with the topic of cold-water treatment, he also has tons of other well-being topics.  Very interesting guy goes kinda deep into the science of it, but I like that stuff. so, I figured what the heck, see if it helped my back and shoulder pain.

Basically, you start out with about 54 deg water bath and submerge yourself to the neck for several minutes and resist the temptation to get out, because you definitely want to...  As you go along you reduce the temp with ice and stay in longer.  My well water was 52 deg in the tub so I went with that.  I've been doing it every other day for a week now. My first bout was 4 minutes, then a minute longer every time.  Every week I'm going to drop 2 deg and see how that goes.   

I will admit it is a very hard thing to get into a cold-water tub, takes your breath away and staying in is a mental game as well and when you get out you are numb all over. But after I get out and honestly feel 10 years younger, my back has not bothered me, nor my shoulder and I have way more energy than I did before.  Shockingly my wife, who hates the cold has started doing it as well after listening to the podcasts and seeing my results.

I highly recommend listening to this podcast and giving it a try, I truly believe it changed my life.

https://hubermanlab.com/using-deliberate-cold-exposure-for-health-and-performance/

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: DELIBERATE COLD EXPOSURE FOR HEALTH
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 07:12:05 pm »
My son is doing kind of the same thing, ice cold showers and says it really helps, I though about it but just don't think I can stand it, I like hot showers. :) Glad it is helping you out though. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 08:56:23 pm »
He has another podcast on hot therapy also does different things but very good for you as well. Sauna, hot showers do the same thing. But the temps are pretty high.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 08:28:14 am »
That's good to know, must be something to the cold bath thing, I know when My son runs a 26 mile marathon he comes back and soaks in a tub of ice water at least a couple of time after and said it really helps to keep from being sore and stiff.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 10:28:35 am »
I have not used cold immersion. I don't think I could but I have used ice in isolated areas on my lower back. It really helped to alleviate the pain when I was down with a bad back.
 What I did was fill a styrofoam cut with water and froze it. To use you tear off a bit of the cup to expose the ice and rub it over the area where its needed. You should only do this for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time as to not damage the shin. After use put the cup back in the freezer for later use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 10:53:04 am »
I’m going to have to just take you for your word Buckskinner.

I’m definitely a hot, hot water person. Maybe that’s why I hurt all over.

Glad it’s helping you though.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 11:21:16 am »
Well let me tell you it is not an easy thing to do, I do dread it every time, but so glad I did it as I get out and beyond.  Did it yesterday and I can still feel the positive effects from it.  Next one I'm going to add some ice to it to get it to 50.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 11:41:48 am »
Well I think I’m going to have to have even more pain than I do already. That day is probably coming sooner than I would like. Maybe I will give the cold water bath a try then. Right now I like hot as I can handle which is pretty hot. Seems to make everything feel good for a little while.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise