Author Topic: Bush clover arrow shafts?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Aaron1726

Bush clover arrow shafts?
« on: December 01, 2022, 09:49:15 pm »
Hi, this is my first post, so first wanted to say hi.  I've been reading posts on this forum for quite some time and I've learned a ton from you all.

Does anyone have any experience with using bush clover (lespedeza bicolor specifically) for arrow shafts?  I found this stuff locally, the wildlife folks plant it as forage.  The plant itself is just a bunch of straight curved over shoots, so I thought I'd give it a try.  After drying for a few months I took the bark off and to my surprise the wood is lime green/ yellow!  I made a couple into arrows and it seems pretty tough stuff, but curious how it will hold up over time.  Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this material, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experience.  I'm trying to add pics, but can't seem to get that figured out yet :)

Thanks

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Bush clover arrow shafts?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 10:23:57 pm »
Here is one of the shafts, not sure how well you can see the color.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 10:27:12 pm »
Ok, I think I figured out the pictures, I just have to make them smaller.  Here is the plant

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 10:31:47 pm »
And here is one of the shafts next to a holly shoot (top) for comparison of color.  Don't have a spine tester, but they seem to be on par with wild rose for the diameter.  Have a pithy center like the rose too.  But the wood is super hard.  Again, thanks for any thoughts or experience with this material.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 05:23:50 am »
Looks like a winner to me. I’m not familiar with it but from your description and pictures it looks good.

Maybe someone else will give you more information, but if they don’t maybe you can tell us how you like them

Welcome to PA

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 11:22:13 am »
Thanks Bjrogg.  I have done lots of searches and can't find any info on this stuff, so we'll just see how it does.  I'll update after I get some more made and shoot them for a while.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 12:13:50 pm »
Lespedeza is also use for erosion control. One big problem with it is it is highly invasive so using it for shafting is a good use of it. Let us know how it works as arrow shafting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC