Author Topic: 87lb@27" French longbow of the 14th century repro  (Read 1493 times)

Offline bowman123

87lb@27" French longbow of the 14th century repro
« on: August 04, 2022, 09:15:06 pm »

Often forgotten today, the Franc Archers did use longbows during the hundred years war, but not as extensively as the English. The French and Burgundians also employed English longbowmen, and other European mercenaries for their missile troops such as Genoese crossbowmen and even early handcannons.

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syU3nuM7Uns

Offline GlisGlis

Re: 87lb@27" French longbow of the 14th century repro
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 04:24:20 am »
Very nice bow and informative video. well done  :OK

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 04:55:19 am »
That bow  :o.....might I suggest that the person who made that needs a bit more practise before selling bows...I'd want to be suited up like a French knight before pulling that....

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 10:06:00 am »
Basically looking like a typical english longbow. How does a french longbow differentiate from english longbow basically? Thanks 😃
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 06:14:43 pm »
That's easy. The ELB smells like fish n chips. The French smells like garlic snails. ps nobody likes the French longbow.

I'm 1/16th French, so I'm not racist.(yes French isn't a race, but that's not the point) (lol)

Offline Weird dude with a bow

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 03:45:50 am »
That bow  :o.....might I suggest that the person who made that needs a bit more practise before selling bows...I'd want to be suited up like a French knight before pulling that....

I agree even though I think this bow is not that bad considering how characterial the stave from wich it was made is, but yeah, that bow probably don't worth it's price. on the video you can see that the thickness taper is not very even.
 It really is difficult to find a high quality bow in france or belgium.  I'm french, there is no real tradition or "bow making culture" here in France, people look at a video on youtube on how to make a survival bow and then call themselves bowyers, especially folks who do not understand english, and thus have no acces to forum like this one, where they could get more infos and advices to progress. I know maybe 5 good bowyers in the whole country, I stoped counting the amount of time I saw people selling "bows" for 200$ at medieval fairs, that were basically a stick of garden yew wood, not even dried correctly, working only in the handle and left strung for weeks...

despite that, I don't think there were much diffrence between english longbows and french longbows in medieval time, we have examles in museum of bows that were basically english longbow design

keep going on with your videos man, I love them!
Sorry for spelling and grammatical errors, I'm french!

Offline bowman123

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 05:06:40 pm »
this is yew from the ardennes forest
it is not high quality swiss or italian alp yew. yew of the ardennes forest are knotty and twisty according to my wallonian bowyer.
there are still quality yew in the ardennes but he uses those to make 100lb+ warbows
that is also why he only tillered to 27 inches
when i drew this thing i was concerned about breaking it so i avoided full draw