Author Topic: Ground blind  (Read 3295 times)

Black Moshannon

Ground blind
« on: August 05, 2022, 02:55:10 pm »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a manufactured blind? I’m looking for something to take into public land to quickly set up and take down, and something I can draw my bow in or behind. I was considering just sitting on a small chair or bucket with a camo net setup in front of me but if someone knows of or uses a decent blind brand that just pops up I would pay for the convenience of that. I have brush blinds set up on my property and prefer that to manufactured but need something quick n easy for state land (plus they have rules about cutting brush). I would go with a climber stand but I’m not comfortable in a tree

Offline PaSteve

Re: Ground blind
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:45:17 pm »
Whitetails are hard to trick with pop-up blinds. They notice any little changes to their environment especially on public land that gets a lot of pressure. Unless it's brushed in it sticks out like a sore thumb to whitetails. With that said I know a few guys that have had success with Hidden Hunter Blinds. They're not cheap and I'm not sure if they're still being manufactured. Blinds with a flat-type roof seem to alert deer quicker so it's important to try and somehow brush in the roofline. Even some fake branches from a craft store pinned to the roof can help.
    If you ask me I think you'd have better success sitting still in a "comfortable" chair with a ghillie suit. If you're still and get the wind right a ghillie works great. Much better than a pop-up unless the pop-up is in place for at least a week or two and brushed in. I use a homemade ghillie and a Redneck Blind chair and have had deer as close as a few yards that never knew I was there. Getting off a shot is a totally different obstacle. Good luck. I hope whatever you choose to do brings you success.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:24:02 pm »
Ok, I’m going to go with climber stand on state land and brush blinds with folding chair on my property

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 08:28:26 am »
If I find a good pinch point for a ground blind, I take some clippers and a little string and throw up a quickie blind out of leafy saplings. These blinds work very well, I leave some holes to shoot through and make a wall of vegetation. This blind is on a public hunting area but in a location I found that everyone had overlooked, the white oak hollow was hidden in a sea of planted pines about 20' tall.

Here is one in a natural funnel where a hollow pinched down from 50 yards wide to 15 yards wide.

This buck walked through the funnel and by the above pictured blind; I shot him at 7 yards with my osage self bow.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:32:47 am by Eric Krewson »

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 09:45:20 am »
That’s a nice setup, nice buck. That is a lot like my blinds I’ve set up on my land, I put in a food plot in front of one of them

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 03:59:17 pm »
I did the same on a food plot I planted, I killed a small buck out of it. The second picture is a deer's view of me in my blind behind the dirt hump, you have to be invisible, I shot the buck a no more than 5 yards.

Again, shoot through holes in the blind.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 07:35:54 pm »
That’s a great looking setup. Going out tomorrow morning to setup another one. I’ll probably just set up some stakes and camo net and stack a small amount of brush against it since I will likely have to move it depending on where deer coming in from. I’m just ballparking the location. After that I will want to set it up more like yours. I got my food plot planted, weather has been good for growing it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 09:10:42 am »
The blind pictured above is on a former log yard I turned into a food plot, then the dozer leveled the hill top it left dirt humps on the edges. I dug out the back side of the dirt humps and made a flat place for my chair. I made another similar blind on the other side of the plot for a different wind direction.

Another view of the plot, this deer nailed me, I moved when I should have stayed still.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 11:15:54 pm »
I like it. Chair sitting sounds ideal too, why not get comfortable.

Offline Muleman

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 11:28:40 am »
i recommend a Barnett they are 80" tall about a 100 bucks,i have a primos its like 76" tall ground max its good to but not sure if its still made,both have the pop out hubs make them easy to set up fast,use a 2 wheel golf pull cart to haul the blind around works like a charm,i believe a game cart would also work great.Mule

Black Moshannon

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 05:09:00 pm »
Thanks muleman. I decided to go with the brush blinds on my property and a quick setup hang on tree stand with climbing sticks for state game land. I plan on frequently changing hunting spots and combo hunt scouting on public land plus I want to get off the ground where I’m safer and can see a ways out. Hoping a combination of ground and elevated hunting will get me some experience and some harvests