Author Topic: Shooting opposite side with off centered string?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Salsify

Shooting opposite side with off centered string?
« on: August 13, 2022, 04:57:25 pm »
Hey all,

So I’m a right handed shooter, and like most of us I shoot off the left side of the bow. I recently finished a bow with a string that is ~1/2” off center towards the right. Just for kicks I shot it in off the right sound and found… I actually kinda like that better. The pick an arrow -> knock -> draw -> shoot motion is so much smoother, quicker and natural feeling. The one draw back is shooting the bow canted is hard on the wrist, so shots made from a crouch or in deep brush might be tricky.

Which lead me to a potentially wonky idea… could I shoot off both with this off center string? It shoots fine and accuratley now, so I’d rather leave it and not do a correction, but If I tune my arrows to one side… will the flight be noticeably effected if I shot from the other?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shooting opposite side with off centered string?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 05:25:52 pm »
Your arrows should shoot the same no matter which side you shoot from...but, consistency in your shooting is important to stay accurate.
 If it were my bow I would use a little heat and bring the string back to the center of the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 03:01:51 am »
If the string is off center then yes it would need different arrows for each side. The arrowpass geometery is different so of course the arrows would have to be different. You may need a shooting machine to tell conclusively though!

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 10:47:47 am »
In the woods I find my peace

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 02:11:04 am »

If I had to shoot off my thumb....it would be with a thumbring on my otherhand. Ishi's way of shooting is pretty wacked really ;) You see anybody else doing it?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 12:06:27 pm »
I would just leave it off to the right and still shoot on the left of the bow. I find the bow is quieter that way and less punishing to my left forearm. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!