Author Topic: Table top bandsaws  (Read 1215 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Table top bandsaws
« on: August 11, 2022, 09:34:38 pm »
Pretty sure I know the answer already but are there any inexpensive tabletop bandsaws out there? Something that I can run a hickory or osage stave through without killing it outright?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

Re: Table top bandsaws
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 04:38:56 am »
None that I've seen John. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 09:24:21 am »
I would depend on the H/P and how wide a blade the table top bandsaw could handle. I looked at several models including Grizzley just now and it appears that all have a 1/3hp motor which is too wimpy.

My first bandsaw, a Craftsman 12", wasn't a table top model but only had a 1/2 hp motor but could handle a 1/2" blade. With a 3TPI skip tooth blade it could handle most osage staves (3" thick) without bogging down.

I had friends who tried the table top models when they started making bows and quickly moved on to floor mounted saws because their table top versions were inadequate for bow making. I don't know the HP of any of their initial saws.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:35:20 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:33:11 pm »
Thats the information I was afraid I would hear. I just don't have the room for a stand-alone saw, and I cannot be hauling it in and out of my storage unit. Drat.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:23:54 am »
When I had the Craftsman, I was building bows in a 5X7 foot corner out in the garage by the water heater. If I used my bandsaw in the garage the dust would find its way into the house, my wife found this to be a real problem as did I. 

My solution was to put two large caster wheels on the back legs of the bandsaw that were off the ground until I tilted the bandsaw backward at which point they made contact. I could tilt my bandsaw back and roll it easily anywhere I wanted it to be which was usually out in the driveway or around the house to the concrete pad at the back door. In hot weather I pulled it just off the driveway and under a maple tree in the yard so I could be in the shade.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 03:10:33 pm »
JW, i have a smaller table top bandsaw. it works for what i need. ill get the brand and look it up for you.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.