Author Topic: White oak bow  (Read 1043 times)

Black Moshannon

White oak bow
« on: September 06, 2022, 09:21:56 am »
This is my second bow from white oak. The tree was cut last winter. The stave was originally cut down to 64” long by 1.5” wide and then heat treated on a caul into about 3.5” of reflex. I had done a lot of careful floor tillering before stringing and went too far because my weight was on target at 45 pounds at 26 inches immediately. I did a more intense heat treating a couple days later putting it back to 3.5 inches of reflex and still had to pike the limbs down to total bow length of 62 inches, which brought the bow to just under 50 pounds at 26 inches. Final width of 1.5 inches at widest point (handle). It’s a D bow with working handle. It’s now holding about 1.25 inches of reflex after resting overnight.

It’s shooting pretty decent. The string lays off to arrow pass side. With a brace height of 6.5 inches I’m getting perfectly quiet shots and my windage is perfectly correct with a string blur of string just to right of arrow. Jumps right back into reflex after shooting. I left the top limb bending slightly more, I heard this is good when shooting three under which is how I shoot. Not sure if that was true but it’s all a big experiment so we’ll see. I burned in my Keystone arrowpass to mark the bow as a true Pennsylvanian and put on a deerskin handle wrap. The finish is a mix of lard and beeswax which is melted together.

The weight will probably drop to 45 pounds especially on a hot humid day. I learned all about that this summer with my other bows. The dampness and heat can really do a number on the draw weight. That’s partly why such a deep burnt black heat treat on this bow.  This is my second white oak, the first is a short 57 inch pulling 45 pounds and holding little over an inch of reflex. May be my last bows of white oak since I recently came into possession of a large stash of beautifully seasoned and preserved, bug free, straight black locust.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:37:58 am by Kenneth »

Black Moshannon

Re: oak
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 09:22:45 am »
Heat treated belly
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:37:07 am by Kenneth »

Offline superdav95

Re: White oak bow
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 01:14:16 pm »
Very interesting Kenneth.  How did you do your heat treatment.  Heat gun or over a pit?  It’s really dark on the belly.  I’ve gone that dark before on some of my hickory before but end up scraping down past most of it during tiller.   Neat little bow!  Congrats
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 02:56:20 pm »
Nice bow. Holding the reflex is always a good sign :)
Straight b.locust staves....could a bowyer ask for a better thing :) It is in my top 3 woods.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 07:19:17 pm »
Thanks, I did the heat treating over charcoal in a block and brick outdoor oven I made for it. I use the heat gun when I’m doing small corrections or driving out moisture which collected over the year, but I have to sit there and hold it the whole time, I like the charcoal oven setup because I can suspend it over the coals and leave it for a couple hours. I adjust it every half hour or so to keep it at the right distance from the heat. Most of the dark stuff got left because I came in underweight. I get nervous bending fresh heavy wood.

I agree Bownarra, locust would be the closest thing to Osage I’m getting around here

Offline Will B

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 11:27:35 am »
That’s a really nice white oak bow. I like the charred belly and the keystone arrow pass. I need to cut some white oak and try fire hardening. Looks like a nice hunting bow. Well done!

Black Moshannon

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 04:26:01 pm »
Thanks Will. I noticed the wood seemed much less dense than hickory the pores or grain seemed pretty rough and large. The stave wasn’t nearly as stiff per amount of wood as hickory, the wood seems weaker overall. That’s why I gave it such a heating. Plus humidity’s been really high here lately

Offline M2A

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 09:00:02 am »
Cool Bow! Holding some reflex tells me you used good dimensions for the wood as well as a good tiller. Always wanted to give white oak a try but yet to stumble on anything worth it yet. Thanks for sharing. Grats on your locust haul, I'm sure you'll enjoy that.  Mike