Author Topic: seasoned shoot shafts next step?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Fox

seasoned shoot shafts next step?
« on: August 22, 2022, 12:08:04 am »
I have some dogwood, blackhaw, and sourwood shafts that have been seasoned for like 4 months, is that long enough?

What is the best way to tell if a shaft is too week/strong? I have always just barshafted and used the "nock left=week" etc. my issue is this seems to not always be correct depending on how far away from the target your standing, right? or am I just doing something wrong... I also do not have a spine tester.

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: seasoned shoot shafts next step?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 10:16:32 am »
Spine testing or at least comparing each shaft with arrows that are already the right spine. If you don't have a spine tester you can make a simple one with 2 nails placed 26" apart and hang a 2# weight from the center. If you do this with a known arrow or shaft and mark the deflection you can use that mark as your intended spine.
 Also, with many shoot shafts they have a natural taper which allows the shaft to be shot from bows of different draw weights(about 10# difference, mol). Also arrow spine is indicated on a finished arrow of 28" with a 125gr point attached. Arrow length over or under that 28" will decrease or increase the effective spine by 5# per inch and heads over or under 125gr will decrease or increase the effective spine by 5# per 25grs of tip weight. With this formula you can make the effective arrows by adjusting either the arrow length or the tip weight or both.
 But, the first thing to do is straighten the shoots then check the spine.
Have fun.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 02:52:27 pm »
Just throw them across the yard and observe how they fly!  Make sure to untie the bundles first though... >:D 

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 04:33:51 pm »
Just throw them across the yard and observe how they fly!  Make sure to untie the bundles first though... >:D

;D ;D ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 03:14:21 am »
4 months is enough time but about the minimum if stored in the house.Unbundle and heat straighten each one very well.
If one needs a lot of overall straightening.Heat straighten one end.Go to other end to heat straighten that end letting first end cool.
Overall bowed ones can sometimes be the hardest to straighten.
If shafts were straightened periodically while they were drying and green will help to reduce amount of heat straightening needed.
I use a mantle lamp to do specific areas that need straightening.Any constant heat source will work though.

Areas heated can become very hot to handle.Wear gloves or for short stubborn areas I use a straightening tool.

Then do as Pat B suggested.or.....
I made a spine tester for about $20.00.Comes in very handy.

From this book.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 03:25:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 10:07:45 am »
Thanks Ed, ive been really meaning to make a spine tester, probably a useful thing to have. I always end up with several arrows that don't shoot straight, even after bare shafting, its quite annoying.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 10:21:15 am »
Oh yes.I have my favorites too,but majority do shoot well.
Still a lot cheaper than buying them.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed