Author Topic: Want to make an ishi stick  (Read 15655 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Want to make an ishi stick
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:17:13 pm »
I'm looking to make an ishi stick.  I was wondering what to use for the "copper point"  and where to get it?  Or could I substitute the copper with a steel 16D nail?
Traverse City, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Want to make an ishi stick
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »
Copper nails work good, also copper wire. Just pound on the wire with a hammer to harden it up and it should work great!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:47 pm »
You can order big copper nails from the internet, Mark Bracken for one sells them. #4 copper ground wire from Lowe's or Home Depot works good, too. Like Tiller said, pound it or clamp one end in a vice and twist it up with a drill.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:10:47 pm »
Tried the twisting method once untill it snapped the wire and went swinging arround and hit me twice in the leg before I could stop it.  >:(  Hammer time!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 11:29:11 pm »
Hey Rick - have never tried the hammering or twisting, but will eventually. Guess I lucked out and found some good copper on an old telephone pole - really stiff. An Ishi stick is really simple. Mine was a broom handle for the first year or two. Make it as long as ya want, just want to be able to hold it on the working end with the other end up around your armpit. Drill a hole in the end the size of your wire and a couple of set screws to hold the copper tight - your in business.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:59:02 pm »
You can buy nylon rod material from US Plastic Corp.  Just google them up and they sell 4' sections CHEAP. Order 3/4" or 1" depending on what the hardness of the material you are using. I used woods of all kinds for years and saw a nylon one at a knappin and have been using them ever since because you can grip them several inches above the point and the bend and recoil of the nylon will produce fantastic spalls.  I have lots of hard drawn copper in two sizes so have a different size on each end of the Ishi stick.  One is for flaking and the other is for making deep narrow nocks!  Like cowboy says, drill a hole the size of your copper and put a couple of set screws in the side to hold the copper tight.  I like the Ishi stick to be 18" long not counting the copper.  It makes pressure flaking easy!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:07:38 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm going to try to get ground wire today.  So basically I just need to pound it, then file to a point?  Cowboy- Be carefull pullin wire off of "old telephone poles".   ;D 
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:34 am »
 ;D ;D, I never do it in daylight, shhh ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 04:59:27 pm »
They arnt always old poles are they Paul?  Now just come clean and admit it. Confesion is good for the soul!  O:)

Offline uwe

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 05:21:54 pm »
I`ve seen somewhere that even a piece of aluminium works well.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 05:28:43 pm »
uwe, I've seen aluminum boppers used for light work but have never tried it.
 OK, OK - I confess ;D. Naw, the copper ground wire I found on an old telephone pole that had washed up at the lake - only about twenty feet of it left. The copper on it was really stiff, guess they used to alloy the ground wires way back when. Bought some the same size at HD and couldn't keep it from bending, even with fairly light flaking..

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:51:38 pm »
If you live around oil wells they use reeder cable that has three 1/4 hard drawn copper wires inside.  They will usually give you some off an old roll and you will really like the difference!  I have access to lots of it!  The stuff we get here has one of the wires that has some alloy on the outside and makes an excellent punch for indirect flaking!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:09:55 pm »
I have some copper nails. I actually like the wire better, it grips the rock better. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 10:35:24 pm »
I got the copper wire, gonna give it a go this weekend.  Thanks for the help guys.
Traverse City, MI

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 01:03:01 am »
i made a copper flaker a few weeks ago. i work hardened a peice of copper wire and hammered a slight curve in it. i drilled a hole in a 3/4 in dowell about 1/16 in bigger than the wire. the tension from the bend in the wire keeps it solid in place no set screws necessary. it will file down eventually where it will be too short but ill just replace the copper.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter