Author Topic: Starting a new ALB  (Read 5462 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Starting a new ALB
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 11:13:28 pm »
Im starting a simple osage bow,, self bow,, thanks for the inspiration,,  :)  we gotta keep moving,,Jimi Hendrix said, ,keep on pushin,, straight ahead,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 11:18:31 pm »
Cool, Brad. Looking forward to seeing pics.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2022, 12:41:53 am »
ok I will post when I get it to bend,, :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 02:43:33 pm »
Well, I got it glued up just a few minutes ago(about 1:30). Even with forethought it's still a run around time for me during glue up...but I got 'er done. I mixed up well 5 grams of hardener with 75 grams of glue then spread it on both glue surfaces. Then I taped the back to the belly together to hold them while I wrapped both limbs with tire inner tube bands first, drew the handle area down to the form base with a large clamp with the tips on blocks about 3 1/4" above the base.  Next added spring clamps along both sides of each limb and also added a small screw clamp at each tip.
 Before I added the glue I put masking tape on the belly side of the belly, added Saran wrap to the form and around the glue up before adding the spring clamps. Now we wait. I'll give it until tonight or tomorrow before I release it all to see what I've got. Here are a few pics...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 05:25:53 pm »
About 10am, I turned off the hot box so the glue up could cool slowly. About 2:30, after we got home I opened the box and took the glue up and form out...

I removed the clamps and the rubber inner tube bands. With the tips on the table, belly up the handle back is 1 1/2" off the table. One limb has a little more reflex than the other and the glue lines look sloppy. I could tell the glue was fully cured because it only took a minute to draw blood from a sharp edge of glue.
Anyway, here are the limbs...

I haven't cleaned up the edges yet. I spent a half hour just trying to remove the masking tape from one limb I put on the belly to protect it from glue. Once I grind down the edges it will probably look better. I can see where the bands were stretched around the and the spring clamps were and can see where some of the problems are.

Also, she probably weighs 100# at least now so there will be a lot of reduction coming up.

went to the shop to sand the edges of the bow. Not as bad as I though.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 07:32:10 am »
Looks like it is coming along nicely Pat.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2022, 09:10:49 am »
Thanks, Pappy. I haven't done much lately but hopefully I can get back to her soon.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2022, 10:06:49 am »
That’s some good progress right there.  I’m watching this one. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Will B

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2022, 07:47:58 am »
Looks great!  Thanks for taking time to post the photos.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2023, 02:23:30 pm »
I started tillering this bow today. Needed something to do while I wait for the sinewed bow to cure out. I have it at low brace and reducing the weight as I even up the bend. I checked the weight at 20" and it's 38#. That works out about 56@26, my old draw weight. I'm looking to take it down to about 45#@26" so I have plenty to work with getting the bend even. I'll keep y'all posted.
Like Brad said.. "the fastest way to get there is slowly" and I'm sticking to that theory.  ;)   :OK

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2023, 08:53:59 pm »
Very interesting Pat. Something I know nothing about, but always enjoy watching and learning.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 01:26:58 pm »
I got a bunch done today. One place I'm a bit concerned about is this knot that runs across the top limb...

you can see it at about mid limb.

Here is braced...

...a little over half draw...

...and full draw(26")

Not my best job at tiller but it is what it is. I still need to add tip overlays and reshape the limb tips. She draws 42#@26", just under what I was shooting for. She does feel good in the hand with good early draw weight. I'll shoot her some later and report back. I have her sweating at brace and will leave her braced for a few hours.

Offline Will B

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2023, 04:26:53 pm »
Looks great Pat. Thanks for the detailed build along. Glad I’m not the only one who cuts myself on those sharp glue edges ;)

Offline superdav95

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2023, 09:01:03 pm »
Tiller looks good to me.  Nice build pat.  Thanks for taking us along
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2023, 09:15:54 pm »
Tiller looks good to my eyes as well.