Author Topic: Primitive hunting arrows  (Read 2323 times)

Offline superdav95

Primitive hunting arrows
« on: September 14, 2022, 08:34:12 pm »
Primitive home made bamboo hunting arrows.  I’m using these for moose hunt this season.  I made a dozen and picked out the best 4 that were spines matching my 55lb bow.  These arrows are at 550grains.  To achieve this I added forshaft weight by adding a small length of 12gauge copper wire glued into the hollow end of the shaft to get all the weights exact for each arrow.  The stone points are 2.25”x just over 1” and weight 82.5 grains hefted on by pine pitch glue then wrapped with sinew.  The turkey feathers were affixed with wood glue and the served with more sinew.  The feather fluff at the nocks are from a scrap bag of feathers that were already dyed.  They shoot great and consistent.  I made a practice arrow that matches the weight and spine of the stone point arrows. 

Thanks for looking. 

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Primitive hunting arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 10:05:14 pm »
Those look fantastic. Are you a secret flintknapper or did you buy the points?
In the woods I find my peace

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 06:51:51 am »
They look great Dave

Good luck with the moose hunt

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 10:08:00 am »
Thanks guys!  I’m excited for the hunt coming up.  Hopefully get close enough.  Allyn i do make my own as well but I can’t make mine look this good yet.  I bought these off a guy I’d been in touch with earlier this year.  They are nice and slim and matching weights which are beyond my skill level right now.   I’ll be doing more in future and continue to work on getting my platforms better prepared to get good thinning flakes off. 

Thanks for looking. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com