Author Topic: Removing a snakeskin glued with tile bond 3?  (Read 807 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Removing a snakeskin glued with tile bond 3?
« on: October 14, 2022, 06:05:32 pm »
What is the best way to do it? 

The fact I'm asking points to me having a really bad day today.  My trade bow bottom limb failed about 5 arrows from me putting it in the mail.  I've gotta try to save it.  First move is to pull the skins off, and I'm thinking there is no easy way to go about it, but I'm hopeful someone has some tricks.  Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Removing a snakeskin glued with tile bond 3?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 06:52:59 pm »
TBIII breaks down at 150 deg(F) so light heating should help. Whether you can save the skins will depend on how gingerly you go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 07:37:14 pm »
Thanks.  I’ll go slow, because I don’t want to “heat treat” the back of the bow in the process.  I’m not concerned about the skins.  They were my best and longest bull snake skins from roadkills (I don’t  harm bull snakes), but I have enough prairie rattler skins to make do if I can salvage this bow.  Thanks for the advice. 

If you want to see a grown man nearly puke and break down over a bow failure, head over to the trade forum and watch the last bud I posted. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 07:41:45 pm »
no dont need to see that,, :-[ :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 09:02:43 am »
When I remove skins, I use a scraper and scrape them off like wallpaper. I have a copperhead backed bow that the skins have faded and look bad now. The bow needs re-tillering and heat treating as it is an old bow that I want to re-work. I put snake skins on about half the bows I made through the years; I am in plain wood mode now and don't put on skins anymore except for the shed skin I tried to back a bow with to see if I could.