Author Topic: Chasing a ring  (Read 3221 times)

Offline StrawHat

Re: Chasing a ring
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2022, 08:09:14 am »
Superdav95, You are so correct. i had to learn to walk away from a bow due to ruining other bows. I keep most of my failures to use as Lesson Learned. When I take a break from a bow I will look at the failures and remember what I did to make it fail.
So far I have made 3 working bows in about 10 attempts.
Started with boards and moved on to hard maple tree staves from a tree that I cut down. Staves are definitely a lot harder to make bows from than boards.

Online Muskyman

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2022, 10:21:11 am »
I’ve got 2 or 3 bows that are in progress, all hickory staves. I did things wrong with them in my rush to get a bow.. I didn’t get the moisture content down like I should have. Have 2 my wife and I have been shooting that I got dried out and by heat treating. There not great but shooting okay. I’m agreement with Dave and everyone else that you definitely learn by doing and making your mistakes. That’s the main reason I’m trying to chase ring on these pieces of Osage that are pretty much junk stuff that’s leftover from my other staves I have from my Osage hall. Now that I’ve learned a little bit about making a bow I’ll probably try another hickory bow. I have a really nice hickory stave that’s seasoned and a prime piece. I might screw it up in the tillering process but I’m going to take my time and try not to do anything to stupid with it, if I can help myself. I’m waiting on some cabinet scrapers before I start trying any more ring chasing on the Osage stuff I’ve got left. I’m also thinking about getting back out and getting some more Osage cut and processed and stashed away for the future while I have a chance before winter comes. 
Another question. How long once processed will a stave last and still make a good bow?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2022, 10:56:43 am »
I’ve got 2 or 3 bows that are in progress, all hickory staves. I did things wrong with them in my rush to get a bow.. I didn’t get the moisture content down like I should have. Have 2 my wife and I have been shooting that I got dried out and by heat treating. There not great but shooting okay. I’m agreement with Dave and everyone else that you definitely learn by doing and making your mistakes. That’s the main reason I’m trying to chase ring on these pieces of Osage that are pretty much junk stuff that’s leftover from my other staves I have from my Osage hall. Now that I’ve learned a little bit about making a bow I’ll probably try another hickory bow. I have a really nice hickory stave that’s seasoned and a prime piece. I might screw it up in the tillering process but I’m going to take my time and try not to do anything to stupid with it, if I can help myself. I’m waiting on some cabinet scrapers before I start trying any more ring chasing on the Osage stuff I’ve got left. I’m also thinking about getting back out and getting some more Osage cut and processed and stashed away for the future while I have a chance before winter comes. 
Another question. How long once processed will a stave last and still make a good bow?

Many many many years.  It’s very rot resistant and will last a long time. It’ll get darker in Color but still good.  It’s up there with red cedar for rot resistance.  Just gotta watch for the boarer worms getting there way in under the bark.  But you would have inspected them well before putting them up for seasoning.  Make sure you don’t leave bark in too long and don’t introduce other potential wood with boarers and should be good.  So short answer.  Many years. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2022, 09:15:33 pm »
Remember those YouTube videos may only show you from start to finish in 15 minutes, but the actual time spent building the bows is a hell of a lot longer. Patience is your best friend.
Staves properly sealed and carefully stored should out live you and still be good.