Author Topic: Yew Primitive Caracter Bow  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Yew Primitive Caracter Bow
« on: September 17, 2022, 04:05:00 am »
I've been wanting to make something like this for years, but of course, you have to wait for the stave to find you :)
50# @ 28" (I was actually aiming for 45#, but sue me).
64" ntn, 1 3/4" at the widest point.
I've taken more time over the finishing than usual, but still kept it clean, simple and low sheen (beeswax polish over a few coats of Danish oil). It shoots very clean and true, I was anticipating having to tweak the arrow pass a bit to shoot my regular field arrows, but it wasn't necessary.
The Yew is English Yew given to me by my mate Rob, probably from some ancient hedgerow or field edge. I modelled it pretty much on Twister my go-to filed bow, as I know the proportions work well.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Yew Primitive Caracter Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 07:31:26 am »
Beautiful bow Del.Love the character. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 07:37:56 am »
Beautiful character bow!  Nice color in that yew. Great bend like all your bows. Thanks for posting it.

Offline M2A

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 07:51:14 am »
Not sure I'll ever work on a piece of yew. but they make some of the prettiest character bows from what I've seen here. Thanks for showing. Looks great.
Mike 

Offline Aksel

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 08:30:43 am »
Very nice bow with a graceful bend, but -can it be called primitive with horn nocks?!  ;)
 I had a look at your youtube-channel too, interesting to follow the progress and sorry about the garage door  ;D..
. I have been making a bunch of similar bows from pretty substandard knotty hedgerow yew (taxus fastigata I believe) recently.
I´m a bit worried about the longevity of the bows due to all the tiny pins along the edges of the limbs, do they,  in your experience, develop frets as easily on yew as on elm or ash?
Stoneagebows

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 08:45:29 am »
Very nice bow with a graceful bend, but -can it be called primitive with horn nocks?!  ;)
 I had a look at your youtube-channel too, interesting to follow the progress and sorry about the garage door  ;D..
. I have been making a bunch of similar bows from pretty substandard knotty hedgerow yew (taxus fastigata I believe) recently.
I´m a bit worried about the longevity of the bows due to all the tiny pins along the edges of the limbs, do they,  in your experience, develop frets as easily on yew as on elm or ash?
Hi, tiny pins don't seem to cause any problem, larger knots with a ring of black manky stuff round them will sometimes get a little pinch/fret showing where the black stuff compresses, but it won't normally get any worse... that's why I tend to fill or plug any knots that have a black ring round 'em.
I made a bow very much to the same patern as this one which went to a serious field shooter who does a lot of practice, he calculated he shot about 10,000 a year from it and it's at least 4 years old and still as good as new!
Del

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 09:14:23 am »
Very nice yew bow, Del. I love the arc of the circle tiller.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 09:50:54 am »
I like this one a lot, it looks the like handle is working a little even with it being narrowed a little and having a sort of handle shape, is that fair to say? Maybe something I will try. Trying to find the sweet spot between a working handle bow and getting wider limbs while still having a decent arrow pass that doesn’t push the arrow way off left.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 09:55:59 am »
Awesome, Del! Love the tiller!Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 10:33:34 am »
Sweet bend on that character yew.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 01:59:32 pm »
I like this one a lot, it looks the like handle is working a little even with it being narrowed a little and having a sort of handle shape, is that fair to say? Maybe something I will try. Trying to find the sweet spot between a working handle bow and getting wider limbs while still having a decent arrow pass that doesn’t push the arrow way off left.
The handle isn't supposed to be working as such, but yes it is narrowed and shaped.
Everything flexes from skyscrapers to bridges, so any handle is bound to work a little :).
I make my handles very short with the heel of my hand overlapping onto the fade and no sight window, just a short arrow pass.
I think long grips/risers are just a waste of working limb adding unnecessary length to a bow.
Del
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 02:06:48 pm by Del the cat »

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 09:32:18 pm »
I really dig it
In the woods I find my peace

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 10:57:23 pm »
Beautiful bow.  Love it!
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 10:24:10 am »
Really nice bow Del.

That handle really reminds me of my Simply Orange bow. I like that short handle and fade style to.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 01:14:48 pm »
Beauty of a bow, you got all of that workin
DevilsBeachSelfbows