Author Topic: Buck and doe deer leg belt pouches  (Read 4898 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Buck and doe deer leg belt pouches
« on: September 20, 2022, 07:35:09 pm »
I had started this thread back in March,but because there was no comments for over 120 days on it I can't bring it up.
So I'll start a new thread.
Sewed these up today using some smoked brain tan.I gave them side gussets to hold more stuff.
Perfect for my check book at the moment.
I'll more than likely bead on them later.

I got 4 of these sized pouches from one small hide. I showed 2 badger belt pouches some time ago too.:-D
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Buck and doe deer leg belt pouches
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 09:23:39 pm »
Nice, do you have any recommendations for learning beading?  books, you-tube channels, etc.?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:20:06 pm »
Beautiful work Ed as usual for you. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:40:49 pm »
Yooper Bowyer....These 2 books should get you started.Both show different techniques of beading and designs.Materials and tools needed.Traditional is the way to go.
The blue book will show the technique of quill wrapping as well.
Stay with it and be patient.Books cost about $10.00/piece at the time.

If you would like to know where I get the needles,thread,and beads PM me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 05:29:43 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 10:42:27 pm »
Thanks Pappy...Unusually hot today.Found something to do inside.
BowEd
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 03:27:24 am »
Nicely done Ed ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 05:28:37 am »
Thanks Bob.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 04:22:53 pm »
Thank you, I'll check it out.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:12:05 pm »
Wow! Very nice work!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 08:59:03 am »
Thanks Brian.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 10:58:12 am »
Here's one more book Yooper Bowyer.The pictures and descriptions in these books are very helpful.Back when I learned to bead no internet was available.Did'nt get a computer till 2006.There was noone to show me either so it was from books that I learned.Eventually after going to rendezvous's and meeting people I met others who did their own beadwork and sold it also.I sold lots of scrap smoked brain tan to many of those bead workers for their smaller projects.To this day I don't look at much U tube video except to fix my truck once in a while.
I do see the helpful advantage that U tube can give though.
I've done some acceptable quill wrapping on leather fringe before also which is shown in 1 of these books.It's not that hard to do.
If someday I want to do some 2 thread quill work I might look at those U tubes.Quill work opens another can of worms.Keeping a supply of quills around etc.Dyeing them.It's beautiful work.Extremely expensive if it is hired out to do.
There's a large amount of diversity of skills for bead and quill work that can be done and I am always fascinated by the top notch work and designs that others do.I keep as high a standard as I can with my work,but do mostly just for myself and not for sale usually.
There are some real artists out there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:08:29 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2022, 04:06:06 am »
I decided to give these pouches antler base bone buttons for a closure.
Belt loops are just a veg tanned belt from a thrift store for a dollar.

BowEd
Ed

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 09:53:16 am »
Beautiful, as all of your work is Ed. Never saw pouches like that. They look very functional.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2022, 01:49:03 pm »
Many people hav'nt.When I wear them out in public I get lots of comments.
I have a pair elk legs that I'll get around to making a bag from them too.That'll be large enough to need a shoulder strap.I'll 4 way round braid that from lace cut from a brain tanned elk hide here.Good thick lace.
The options for different types of useful accoutraments out there it seems is never ending.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:59:48 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 09:39:03 am »
Once a person goes through the growing pains of applying good beadwork it seems more doors open up for your imagination and work.It gets easier.The problem then will be finding designs that you like.I like geometric designs mostly because I like the period in history of the plains horse culture of the native americans of the late 1700's to early 1800's.
Eastern woodlands designs are very nice also and need more of the applique stitching method because of the floral designs.
The 3 stitches I mostly use are the siouw lazy stitch,cheyenne stitch which lays flatter than the siouw lazy stitch,and the applique stitch for curvy lines.I like to do some different types of edge beading also.
The cheyenne stitch lays flatter because 1 end of the row of beads being applied is connected to the thread of the previous row that it is next to above or below it while being tacked into the leather on the other end.Instead of being tacked down into the leather on both ends as the siouw lazy stitch is.
The souw lazy stitch will have a slight humped look to it.
The look of it always reminds me of moss growing on the ground,only it's beads onto leather.
The applique stitch is a longer row of beads on the needle tacked down like the siouw lazy stitch on both ends and then back stitched and tacked down every 3 beads sometimes completely going through the leather to tack it down on a curvy line following the design line.Rosettes can be made with this stitch also.
Otherwise all my bead stitching is done going only through half the thickness of the leather,and it's why brain tan is so suited for this work.In and right back out to the length of space that I want for my stitch.No stitchs are ever evident of my work on the backside of the leather.
I usually siouw lazy stitch my rosettes,but do applique them too when the circle gets or starts out very small in the center.
Beading a rosette using the siouw lazy stitch takes a slightly wider spaced stitch on the outer end than the inner end of the circle of the row of beads.It shows the 2 different ways on the last book by Ben Hunt I pictured.
It's about the toughest stitch to make to look right.The row your stitching down always needs to be pointed towards the center of the circle to look right.
The cheyenne stitch or modified siouw lazy stitch I like to call when used is a faster stitch to cover more area if you have a larger project.
Using larger beads like #8 pony beads will cover more area also more so than seed beads,but seed bead work will look more defined and impressive.
Nowadays it seems the most impressive beaders are doing work for pow wow dancers.Old colors like ponytrader blues,brick red whitehearts,greasy yellows,crow pale blues,cheyenne pinks and arapahoe greens are not used there.All pale colors like in the old days.
They are using very bright irridescent sometimes translusant colored type beads.
A little beadwork to compliment or highlight an item looks good.Too much beadwork and it looks gaudy to me.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 06:24:02 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed