Author Topic: High wrist or low  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
High wrist or low
« on: September 21, 2022, 07:42:20 am »
Are there any advantages to either grip, such as less string slap or better arrow flight off the knuckle?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: High wrist or low
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 04:51:29 pm »
Are there any advantages to either grip, such as less string slap or better arrow flight off the knuckle?
I tend to get less wrist slap and a bit better flight from high wrist (I think because it prevents me from grasping the bow tightly) but I find low wrist a lot less tiring so I always seem to revert back to it sooner or later.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 12:40:06 am »
Do you mean a low wrist as in a broken wrist with heel of hand down on bow handle? That’s how I shoot. It puts the weight of the bow fully supported by your bone structure when you get into full alignment because your not arching your wrist through muscular tension your just letting the bow handle rest on the thumb pad and you have a fully bent wrist so you don’t have to worry about torquing the bow hand or moving it. I rest the bow on the pad and start the draw with no fingers down on the handle and let that tension hold the bow there, then I just let my index and middle finger lightly down on the middle of the handle with just enough pressure to make sure I don’t drop the bow when it goes off. That way there’s no grip pressure influencing my shot on release.  Also on the bow arm, I quit getting string slap when I started shooting with a pronated elbow, which is natural arm position with the inside of the forearm facing down instead of facing the bowstring. In other words if you just raise your arm straight up from your side without twisting it. Doing that along with maintaining a low bow shoulder gives me a really solid platform to draw and shoot from and no more string slap because the forearm is no longer in the way. I don’t even use an arm guard now
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:45:47 am by Kenneth »

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:38:49 pm »
I think mine has mostly to do with grip shape. I shot my compound low wrist too but keep getting drawn to high wrist. Maybe because it feels better shooting off the knuckle.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 07:16:40 pm »
I think alot depends on shape of handle,,but do what gets the arrow there best,, I think trying alot of different things is the enemy of hitting the target
pretend you are 10 years old, you dont know high wrist low wrist, have fun shooting the bow,,, and see how it goes
   everyone has a diffferent shape, so what works for one person,,, may be the worst for you,,practice close range till you develope consistancy,, if you change or experiement every day or week, it wont happen,, when the deer presents a shot,, you are likely to forget how to shoot,, :NN
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:24:01 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 09:12:11 am »
I've been shooting very close range Brad, about 5 yards or so. I'm slowly getting better but no where near hunting ready yet. Hopefully by late October or early November I'll be ready.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 07:29:12 pm »
you can do it,, just keep at it,, progress is slow,,

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 11:15:53 am »
That's what I'm starting to realize. The compound was much easier to get proficient with, made me underestimate how much work it would be with a traditional bow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 11:36:39 pm »
its not work, its fun and theraputic,, (-S

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 09:31:59 am »
Lol it is fun, but it's a whole lot more fun when you hit what you're trying to