Main Discussion Area > Cooking Forum

Annual trip to the farmers market...

(1/2) > >>

Pat B:
...to get the fixin's for my tomato sauce.

Marcia and I went to the farmers market yesterday like we have for quite a while this time of year. We bought 2, 25# boxes of Roma tomatoes, 10 bell peppers, 10 onions and 6 garlic bulbs. Today I jumped into the first box. I spent most of this morning blanching the tomatoes so the skin peels off easily. Then cut up 4 bells, 4 onions and a garlic bulb each and got it all cooking in 2 big pots. You can see the tomatoes being blanched in the pot on the right.

Cooked these down for a couple of hours.  After these cool I'll put them in freezer bags and freeze them for later use.
This was just one 25# box. I'll do the other one tomorrow.

Stoker:
Looks good. One 25# box a day is enough. Last Saturday I did stewed tomatoes, canned 13 jars.
Thanks Leroy

Pat B:
I put up 10 freezer bags in the freezer this morning with a little left over and am cooking up another 25# today. Also I'm roasting 10# of tomatillo with chili powder, cumin, salt , black pepper,  garlic, onions, bell peppers that will be a salsa verde.  -C-

Pat B:
Here's the tomatillo salsa before roasting...

after roasting...

...and the end result...

Pat B:
I put my salsa verde in half pint canning jars today, put in the hot water bath...and the bottoms of 3 of the 7 jars broke out dumping the contents in the water bath. That was about 40% of what I made down the drain.   (A)  :o   I guess the salsa was too cold when I put it in the hot water. Anyway here's what I got in the end...
I put my salsa verde in half pint canning jars today, put in the hot water bath...and the bottoms of 3 of the 7 jars broke out dumping the contents in the water bath. That was about 40% of what I made down the drain.  :knothead:  I guess the salsa was too cold when I put it in the hot water. Anyway here's what I got in the end...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version