Author Topic: Annual trip to the farmers market...  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Annual trip to the farmers market...
« on: September 22, 2022, 05:39:21 pm »
...to get the fixin's for my tomato sauce.

Marcia and I went to the farmers market yesterday like we have for quite a while this time of year. We bought 2, 25# boxes of Roma tomatoes, 10 bell peppers, 10 onions and 6 garlic bulbs. Today I jumped into the first box. I spent most of this morning blanching the tomatoes so the skin peels off easily. Then cut up 4 bells, 4 onions and a garlic bulb each and got it all cooking in 2 big pots. You can see the tomatoes being blanched in the pot on the right.

Cooked these down for a couple of hours.  After these cool I'll put them in freezer bags and freeze them for later use.
This was just one 25# box. I'll do the other one tomorrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

Re: Annual trip to the farmers market...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:50:37 am »
Looks good. One 25# box a day is enough. Last Saturday I did stewed tomatoes, canned 13 jars.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 12:29:36 pm »
I put up 10 freezer bags in the freezer this morning with a little left over and am cooking up another 25# today. Also I'm roasting 10# of tomatillo with chili powder, cumin, salt , black pepper,  garlic, onions, bell peppers that will be a salsa verde.  -C-
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 02:42:04 pm »
Here's the tomatillo salsa before roasting...

after roasting...

...and the end result...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 02:17:21 pm »
I put my salsa verde in half pint canning jars today, put in the hot water bath...and the bottoms of 3 of the 7 jars broke out dumping the contents in the water bath. That was about 40% of what I made down the drain.   (A)  :o   I guess the salsa was too cold when I put it in the hot water. Anyway here's what I got in the end...
I put my salsa verde in half pint canning jars today, put in the hot water bath...and the bottoms of 3 of the 7 jars broke out dumping the contents in the water bath. That was about 40% of what I made down the drain.  :knothead:  I guess the salsa was too cold when I put it in the hot water. Anyway here's what I got in the end...

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 06:51:00 pm »
Pat had the same thing happen with 2 qts of peaches :'(, at $48 dollars a bushel I was ripped. Look up thermal shock in your canning book, Cool Canning  jars put into to  hot of water. First time for me losing any jars  :o Bob
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:54:06 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 12:05:42 am »
Me too, Bob. I had the salsa in the frig over night and I guess it was too cold to put in the boiling water. I didn't even think about it until I saw salsa in the water. Oh well, $h1t  happens!