Author Topic: My bow a month thread  (Read 2289 times)

Black Moshannon

My bow a month thread
« on: October 09, 2022, 01:34:18 pm »
My bow making career is only going as far as I force it into my schedule. In order to keep myself accountable and productive I will post a new bow each month here. I believe that is the minimum I should be making. October’s bow is about half finished. It’s a 64” Sudbury rock maple bow. Limbs 1.5” wide with handle at 1.25”. My plan is to finish it with a leather handle wrap that creates a very slight “shelf” that complements my hand for an arrow rest. I have found this convenient when hunting. I am really gravitating towards wider limbs. I know this is conventional wisdom but I loved the narrow D bows. But I have made two white oak bows with wide heat treated limbs and I am amazed by the performance I’m getting. Can’t get em to follow the string yet. And I need the extra wood in the bow for a stable shot and plus I hold awhile after anchoring.

Offline Will B

Re: My bow a month thread
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 07:52:28 pm »
I look forward to seeing your bows on here.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 08:30:13 pm »
sounds like a great plan,, (-S

Black Moshannon

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 07:20:18 am »
Got bow floor tillered. Put black walnut stain on back then heat treated on charcoal. Gave it 2.75 inch of reflex.  Has rested a couple days now. Did a little more reduction on belly and floor tillering this morning.

Offline M2A

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 07:50:33 am »
Nice even looking reflex. looking forward to your thread here. I may not comment much but will be following along.
Mike

Black Moshannon

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 06:40:48 am »
I got a string on it. I was anxious that the bow would break during floor tillering so I shaved it down a little too light. I hit 45# at 25 inches without any extra wood removal. Luckily during the floor tillering I was also using the long string on a tillering stick and removing wood from a stiffer limb and thicker areas so the tiller actually looks pretty sweet. I would have preferred a little more bend toward the handle. I’m going to scrape the belly smooth to get the rasp marks out and put it back on the caul and run the heat gun over it for about 20 mins. I’ve found this works to give a nice dark color and stiffen up the limbs just a little so I have some room to play with. No pics yet this all happened this morning and now at work

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 08:42:26 am »
You must be doing something right with your heat treat.  Good work. Keep it up. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Black Moshannon

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 06:40:03 am »
Maybe my scale was not dialed in right because last night I strung it and it was pulling 45 at 24". These are minor differences anyway. I did some more work and its 45# at 25". That gives some room to lose weight as I shoot it at 26# draw. Here's some pictures. The limbs have a small amount of propeller twist making the tiller tricky as to which limb is bending more. Ill shoot it a lot and keep watching it. Adjustments may have to happen as I go.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 06:40:51 am »
another photo

Black Moshannon

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 06:44:42 am »
other side

Black Moshannon

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 07:45:25 pm »
Ive shot it a lot and now calling it done. 45# at 26" 64" long. I put a leather "shelf" on held on with the leather hand wrap. Couple more pics. November bows coming up next. Hickory sudbury/meare heath type.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 02:47:10 pm »
Looks good man. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Black Moshannon

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2022, 06:56:23 pm »
Thanks