Author Topic: Regarding fades  (Read 1267 times)

Offline StickMark

Regarding fades
« on: September 24, 2022, 11:43:00 pm »
I tend to make my fades long. However, looking at other bows, seems others have  much more bend at the fades. Any thoughts on the fades (and tiller) for this hickory bow?

I built it by feel, meaning I only checked the draw weight at 17 inches, as I had  curiosity as to what would occur with that way of building.

1.5" width to 7/8" tips (built tough to survive a stumble ). Bow ended up at 55# at 24.5".  It is now 66tt, as I cut off an inch off each limb, after about 100 arrows. Felt a little slow, overbuilt for that draw length.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Regarding fades
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 08:58:09 am »
On the top limb you have about 8" of stiff wood above your hand, you could make this area bend a little more. The bottom limb looks OK out of the fade but is bending a little too much 1/3rd the way out and could bend a little more in the last 3rd.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 11:43:02 am »
Thanks Eric.
I see it now.
I have addressed those areas.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 11:45:46 am »
Still, looking at it now, the top fade now seems still stiff. Going to sand a bit...

Offline scp

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 12:29:28 pm »
Tips are way too wide. I like long fades as well, but I think they are more difficult to tiller.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 12:43:23 pm »
Tips are on a reduction plan as well. 5/8" ?
Latest retiller photo. Besides tuning in tips, I am thinking letting it be, as it is now at 25" or so, with good weight and feel.
Thanks for looking and sharing. Been having a mental block over fades and bending down there.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 03:42:22 pm »
I like fades that are about 1.5 inches sometimes ...longer or sometimes shorter. Stave length is a  determining factor...right down to bend in the handle bows where stave length is short.
This is your canvas so paint your portrait as you like it.

By the way I mark a nice dark pencil line at the end of the fade to make sure the bending starts there and increases

That tiller is great.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 07:57:27 pm »
I agree jawge.  I think that running too early on the fades can give a weekends to the bow.  My experimenting has shown this.  I’ve done my composite bows with early fades but that’s a different animal.  With the addition of sinew and horn I found early fades better but that’s my experience with it.  I also agree that there is no one way to do things and if you can get a good shooting bow that takes little to no set after shooting in then it’s a success by some measure anyway.  Reducing mass at the tips will improve performance quite a bit.   I realize you want a sturdy bow so just something to think about.  Tiller looks much better now.  Cheers. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline StickMark

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 08:38:04 pm »
George, I will take that compliment.
About tips, I think that 3/4", maybe a tad less, is as low as I want to go. Pretty much every bow I make ends up on a tip-mass diet eventually.

Thx for the help. guys.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 09:28:40 am »
It looks a lot more balanced now - the top limb was tipping towards you when you pulled it originally, I imagine.  It looks that way in the photos anyway.  Nice work!