Author Topic: Osage trees  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage trees
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2022, 10:22:30 am »
Periodically check your newly harvested and sealed staves to be sure they were sealed well. It would be a shame to come back next spring to find checking happening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2022, 12:55:37 pm »
Will do Pat,  I put probably 3 or more coats of marine varnish on them but, I’ll check them every 3-4 weeks to make sure.  If I was to notice some checking should I cut it off and reseal them?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2022, 07:45:11 pm »
Is your shed ventilated or closed up? Seeing as how it is fall and not too hot you should be OK either way. The 4 ways I ruined staves when I was a rookie; putting them the attic in the summer, putting them in the car with the windows rolled up, putting them in an outside shed with all the windows and doors closed in an Alabama summer (I left the sap wood on also) and putting one behind the water heater to "quick dry it from green".

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2022, 08:34:11 pm »
Shed is 16 x 26 has (2) 3 x 3 ft windows and one 4x4 window also has a ridge vent and soffit vents so it’s ventilated pretty good. I usually keep the windows open. At least for now. Haven’t been through a winter with it yet. I just built it this Spring. I could bring them into the house this winter if the cold is hard on them. I have a small fishing/hunting room I can tuck them away in if I need to.
I’m in southern Ohio an 40 miles north of Cincinnati