Author Topic: Elk leg possibles pouch  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Elk leg possibles pouch
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2022, 07:45:39 am »
Love that, I have some that I skinned out after seeing you stuff Ed, now to figure out how to tan and use them. I have about 8 so far, fun to skin them also and getting a little better with practice.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 01:34:43 pm »
Those are really cool, Ed.  I decided to try bark tanning my elk legs this year, but I think they're losing all their hair in the solution.  So I'll have leather instead of fur. All good.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 04:28:09 pm »
That's all good you saved them.After skinning them they should fleshed well [dew claw joint cleaned out well too] and then salted and dried for future use if you were'nt going to tan them after fleshing.
The elk legs I made a pouch from had been sitting around for years before I made a pouch from them.
After drying the hair will be set.Mix up some pickling salt and aluminum sulfate in a bucket [2 to 1 salt to sulfate] [1  pound of pickling salt to 1/2 pound of aluminum sulfate]and let them sit in that solution.Stirring it a few times a day.Until when you cut a sliver from the thickest area [about a week] from an edge that it appears completely white though the leather.
Pad it dry as much as you can.Massage in some 100% neats foot oil while damp.As it dries work it soft with your hands.The more you work it the softer it will become.
I've made a few different versions of pouches from deer and elk legs.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 10:06:10 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed