Author Topic: Anyone have any idea who this may be?  (Read 5017 times)

Offline timmyd

Anyone have any idea who this may be?
« on: September 29, 2022, 01:03:40 pm »
Found this antique looking flintlock. This name engraved on the barrel. Looks like O.E. Wiltrout. Tried to search Google but didn't get anywhere.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Anyone have any idea who this may be?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 08:58:07 am »
The browning looks contemporary to me, more pictures of the lock trigger guard, butt plate and the whole rifle may help determine if it is old or newer.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 09:45:53 pm »
This is the best I could do

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 11:29:41 pm »
That has a really long barrel, looks like a 46" one. I do think it is contemporary, a lefty which is unusual, the inlays on the butt wouldn't normally be found on an original.

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 06:19:16 am »
I know nothing about guns but the appearance of the writing looks contemporary to me

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 08:59:49 am »
I think I misspoke, what I see as inlays is actually a patch box.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 08:20:57 am »
After looking it over the best can, I see it has quality workmanship, the name on the barrel is very well done, this would suggest the rest of the gun was executed well also.

It has the lines of a southern rifle; the poured pewter nose cap is another indicator of quality work. I can't tell for sure but it may have a late Ketland lock on it, most southern rifles have this type of English style lock.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 07:58:17 pm »
Well surprise surprise...seems my boy told his mother and they laid this gun in my hands Christmas morning. I am tickled pink over this. Didn't have a ramrod so I had to order one and it's on its way. Still hoping to knock a PA whitetail down during this late season. Can't wait to shoot it. I'll load more pics later

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 08:43:26 am »
Looks like a very well-made contemporary gun, check to see if it is loaded, many of these guns are.

I heard about a TC in a local pawn shop that was going cheap, I dropped by to look at it. Turns out it was a CVA, not something I was interested in. I checked to see if it was loaded and it was. The pawn shop owner said they got a lot of them in that way, he said they didn't pull the loads and just cautioned the buyer that the gun they were buying was indeed loaded.