Main Discussion Area > Shooting and Hunting

What is hunting ready accuracy?

(1/4) > >>

Black Moshannon:
Does anyone have a proven distance from which one must put all arrows within a certain size target to be ethically ready to go afield? I want to get out this weekend. A bit ago I managed to put three out of five shots in my eight inch target ring from twenty yards. The other two shots, one would have been a shoulder hit and other one probably a gut shot. I’m sure not planning on shooting further than fifteen yards. I would imagine I should at least be putting all arrows into eight inch ring at twenty before considering this an ethical thing. I have a few days to sharpen up. I feel that I am on the brink of being a confident shooter that is also reasonably accurate.

Allyn T:
All I know is I get deer fever so the more it's muscle memory the less chance I have to fall apart. I'd also say each person should choose whatever they think is ethical cause you'll be the one dealing with the success or failure. If you are supremely confident you won't make a bad shot then you probably won't.

Pappy:
It kind of depends on what kind of terrain you are hunting and how far you expect your shots to be, I usually practice at 12/15 yards and closer because that is the way I set up and rarely take a shot over that, most of my shots are from 5-15, only taken a few deer in my life 20 or more. if you limit your shots sounds to me like you are ready.
 Pappy

Black Moshannon:

--- Quote from: Allyn T on October 04, 2022, 09:27:54 pm ---All I know is I get deer fever so the more it's muscle memory the less chance I have to fall apart. I'd also say each person should choose whatever they think is ethical cause you'll be the one dealing with the success or failure. If you are supremely confident you won't make a bad shot then you probably won't.

--- End quote ---

I get pretty wound up when an animal shows up too, even a groundhog. My heart starts racing. So the muscle memory is key as you say. I believe I can develop enough confidence in my ability to run through the shot cycle under stress that I can run the shot with a deer in front.

--- Quote from: Pappy on October 05, 2022, 08:21:57 am ---It kind of depends on what kind of terrain you are hunting and how far you expect your shots to be, I usually practice at 12/15 yards and closer because that is the way I set up and rarely take a shot over that, most of my shots are from 5-15, only taken a few deer in my life 20 or more. if you limit your shots sounds to me like you are ready.
 Pappy

--- End quote ---

My terrain is very close at my property. Game lands I’m not sure what it’s gonna look like. But my trail cam shows a lot of traffic on the trail which is only about five to eight yards from the blind. Maybe with that in mind I’ll focus on working on my fifteen and under shot and make sure they are all in eight inch circle

Pat B:
The way I handled buck fever is with muscle memory like Allyn suggested and the only way to develop muscle memory is with lots of thoughtful practice. That way you can concentrate on where the arrow WILL go and let your subconscious brain take over the draw, anchor and release. The last few deer I shot, I don't remember any of the shot action. I do remember putting tension on the string then my next memory was the arrow in the ground or in the exiting deer...but this does take a lot of thoughtful practice. Practice where each shot goes where it is intended. Trying to shoot groups has always distracted me because the previous arrow gets in the way of me picking a spot. Take one thoughtful shot, go recover your arrow then take the next thoughtful shot. After a while it all comes naturally. When you first see the deer, pick your SPOT and concentrate on that and not the deer. If you concentrate on the deer you will miss it by shooting over or under it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version