Author Topic: Fall colors  (Read 1328 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Fall colors
« on: October 24, 2022, 10:00:13 am »
The pin oaks this year are very brilliantly colored.It was cloudy in the picture.Would of been more brilliant with the sun on it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:56:25 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Fall colors
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 10:39:12 am »
We’re past our peak now. Wind, and rain was pretty hard on them. Still pretty good yet though

The maples were really awesome

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 10:05:27 pm »
Yep, this was a great year for fall colors.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 06:29:34 am »
Beautiful picture BJ.
It's been awful windy here too lately.Things are a changing.
The pin oaks don't mind though.Everything else will lose it's leaves but not the pin oak.Although it's brilliant colors do brown over through the winter.By March they'll be gone.
The smell of fall in the woods stirs some and some not.
Took 1 picture years ago of the place this time of year.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 06:33:49 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 07:38:14 am »
Do all oaks keep there leave Ed? My neighbor has several oaks on his lawn and they all keep there leaves till spring. I planted a few a couple years ago I got from NRCS and they keep their leaves till spring to. I think they were white oak but I don’t remember for sure.  Not a real lot of oak growing naturally around here. Ash was definitely the dominant species. Not anymore though

Bjrogg

PS here a picture from yesterday of the birch woods

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 07:52:35 am »
Another beautiful picture.I don't have any birch here.What kind of birch is it mostly?
Yes I think most oaks hold onto their leaves quite a while,but it's the pin oak that holds on the longest here.Great tree with little mess for around the house and lawn.It stands up to the most brutal ice storms well.
I've got red,bur,and white oak here too.Great deer attractants.On the right year the white oaks are the best.
The pods from the aggravating honey locust attract deer too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:57:38 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 08:11:02 am »
They are white birch Ed. They are beautiful even without their leaves. Not very long lifespan though.

One thing about the ash bore. Some of the other hardwood species are trying to take their place now that the ash have all died

Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 08:44:16 am »
Ash are becoming extinct here also.Many many very large ones standing dead.It's a shame.
An Amish family who have a saw mill I know personally make all of their buggys from ash for frames.They use expensive plywood too.Average base buggy costs $6500.00.They've sold them for over $10,000.00 though too.
They do buy parts for them like springs and wheels though.
Pretty sophisticated buggies with battery powered lights and even kerosene heaters.

After construction they have a paint booth.

I keep a lot of straight edge grain ash strips for backing bows.
They were fascinated watching me bend wood with a heat gun.A few of the boys in that family make bows through my assiciation with them.They still prefer to use compounds though.They don't want to go through the practice of shooting to achieve accuracy.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 08:55:16 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 01:34:45 pm »
They look exactly the same here to Ed. I did some custom corn spraying this year and they must have had a auction or something. I bet a minimum of 200 buggies drove by the field I was in. Along with another 30 or more van with Amish taxi wrote on them. Would have been a interesting auction to go to. I will see if I can find a couple pictures I took.

Here’s one I took yesterday. This place looks so beautiful in the fall. It was better a week ago but it still looked nice yesterday. Today we have our cold, drizzling rain and strong winds so tomorrow it’ll probably look different.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 01:46:43 pm »
Afraid it’s not a very good picture, but the steady stream of buggies lasted for over a hour. I meet a bunch of them when I was driving to the field and their horses didn’t like my Hagie at all. I tried very hard to give them as much room as I could but several of the horses were bucking and standing on their hind legs. The passengers in the buggies looked terrified. I was so glad no one got hurt and I was even more glad they weren’t on the road anymore when I finished the field.

Bjrogg