Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

Pair of brain tanned britches

(1/4) > >>

BowEd:
Finally finished up in my spare time on the large pair of buck hides shown in the More Hidework post in Around the Campfire thread.
From some self bow kills with dogwood arrows to complete the process.
Used an old worn out jean pattern transferred to card board.34" inseam and waist on this pair.
Gave it 4" wide extra leather above the waist line with these large bucks.Nice place for 3" wide harness leather belt to go.
Reinforced the fly line and the waistline with double thickness.
Some elk horn buttons and a deer print using an acrylic pen on wedge sewn into the cuff at the bottom.
Hand sewn the side seams and crotch with atrificial sinew and the rest on the machine.Used the belly leather for the fringe.Fits good.
Plenty heavy enough pair of pants.Just need to break it in now.I like the rutting scars from antler tips fighting on the one lower cuff of one of the pants pipe.
No shot at a deer yet.Some bucks cruising by out of range but enjoying the show anyway.Some scrapes showing up too.It's been awful windy lately.

;D

Stixnstones:
Those are awesome. Started a pair 2 years ago and never finished them, thanx for the inspiration

BrianS:
Very Nice Work!

BowEd:
Without an abundance of hides at 1 time and collected over the years one can think exactly what he or she wants to make for themselves.
It's always a hesitating moment cutting out your pattern.Knowing full well how much time and effort you've put into the hide already and how soft and nice that it is.
But you'll get over that.Always keep your scraps of significant size.Many other things can be used or made from them.Small bags,lace,and sizes that you can bead or quill on to attatch to a garment.
For garments such as pants or shirts matching them according to their thickness is best.
I can tell you using white tailed deer especially bucks that are at least 4.5 to 5.5 years old is more than thick enough for pants.
Does of at least 2.5 years old are suitable for shirts.
Yearling deer of less than 1 year old and most pronghorn antelope or domestic goats are almost too thin to use,but have used them before with success and for other things also.
Holes that are made in the hide from broadheads are barely noticeable when properly sewn together while dressing and smoking the hide during the brain tanning process.Final sewing is done with real sinew before smoking.Real sinew will never break or unravel after drying.
They add character or tell a story IMO along with all the other scars.I tell how that is done properly in the "Big fella into Buckskins/Smoking/Lots of pics/Items made" on this same thread but about 10 pages back now.

BowEd:
If someone would like to short cut the process of owning a pair of brain tanned pants my old pair in like new condition would be available in trade of like value and useful to me.PM me if interested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version