Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

Some beadwork

(1/4) > >>

BowEd:
Finished up on some pieces of beadwork.A 4" square and a 4" rosette piece.
Demostrating the four directions colors.Yellow to the east.Red to the west.Green to the south.White to the north.
I used #11 seed beads.Cobalt,ponytrader,crow pale blues.Greasy yellows.Siouw greens.Reds.and whites.
A little crowded in some places but it'll have to do.
I will sew these to a large brain tanned shirt in the future.

Stoker:
Looking good. They'll be great on a shirt
Thanks Leroy

Pat B:
Very nice beadwork, Ed. Can you suggest a how to book on doing beadwork? I've had different folks try to explain the different stitches to me but I do better with pics or personal instructions that the spoken word.  ::)

BowEd:
Sure....These books [not very expensive] besides the techniques shown will give you ideas for designs also.One of the other reasons why I bought them.The more you investigate the more ideas you'll get with more books.Sharps needles/nymo thread and wax/ and beads can be gotten from suppliers.
A person if wanting to get into this should read on the history native american beadwork eastern and western.Mostly lazy stitched geometric designs western and more applique floral designs eastern.Books on native culture and beliefs help too.Understanding where this all comes from.
Good lighting and good eyes are needed.Brain tan is the best material to do this on.It's done on other materials too but brain tan is the best.Satisfying hobby if your into it.

BowEd:
You will see no stitching showing through the leather with the siouw or squaw lazy stitch.Some is showing through using the applique stitch or in line stitch in the center of the rosette which is normal.The bands will become too pinched to lazy stitch clear to the center of rosette.The rest is siouw lazy stitched.The siouw lazy stitch is preferred by me brcause it is faster for me to do.
2 ways of doing rosettes applique or lazy stitched.Both type stitched rosettes take more advanced experience.
An example of an appliqued stitched rosette.Beads are wrapped in a circle and stitched down every 3 to 4 beads going through the leather.It will never show because the item is sewn onto a garment such as this buffalo mounty styled hat.

A smaller spaced stitch is needed on the inner circle than the outer circle using the siouw lazy stitch.All lines of bands need to point to the center.Stitches showing through in center of rosette here.
Square projects need the same length stitch on each end of the bands.Easier to do.

Applique stitching can be done not going through too.This takes a lot of back stitching never going through.

It can be done many ways.It's all up to choice/technique/and experience.
I think one of those books show different types of edging also.One shown here on this hooped brain tan piece and the front edge of the bill on the buffalo hat which is a wrapped edge technique.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version