Main Discussion Area > Bows

does a bow with a shelf perform better

<< < (2/19) > >>

bradsmith2010:
i guess it could really vary from bow to bow,, the floppy rest seems a good way to go,, its effective and minimal,,and easily adjusted if need be,,, if tiller ever shifted it could be moved to tune the bow,,

simk:
Imho the more center shot the stiffer arrows can be used. Stiffer arrows stabilize quicker and loose less energy with unnecessary movement. Closer to centershot also makes it easier to find the right arrows. I think there's a big advantage in building close to centershot, altough I personally dont like the look of a cutout shelf. jm2c

superdav95:
Simk,  That makes sense to me. That loss of energy in arrow flight recovery.  The flimsy rest might be similar to the feather rest. The arrow floats above the cut out so to speak and you basically have feather on feather on pass through.  They do start to wear out after a few hundred shots though. 

Eric Krewson:
I can shoot a bow with or without a shelf, during my initial tillering I don't have a shelf on a bow, I add one later.

I add a shelf and tiller the bow to the shelf, I can't explain it but I feel how the bow feels as I shoot it to determine the final tweaks that are necessary in the tillering so it "just feels right".

I don't initially cut in much of a sight window, I bare shaft to select the spine the bow likes. If my arrows hit 3" to the left I will fine tune where they hit by filing a little more of a sight window cutout. Usually, it doesn't take much, 1/8" will often mover the arrow impact over the necessary amount.

For my personal bows this is an ongoing process that goes on for months as the bow shoots in and stabilizes, I make tiny little adjustments until I feel everything is just right.

This is about where I end up on a rest and sight window, I may cut it in a little more during the tuning process.

I always cover the handle with leather to cover up most of my glued on rest.

superdav95:
Man that looks good Eric.  Nice and slick.  Did you use bone or antler for the rest?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version