Main Discussion Area > Flintknapping

Finally made a knife

<< < (2/4) > >>

M2A:
Real cool. Congrats, on keeping it in one piece! Always like to see finished/hafted pieces shown off on the site here.
Mike 

GlisGlis:
Very nice blade. it looks more than fit for the job.

However there is a question that pop in my mind every time I see knives like your.
It seems to me that such a long handle could exercise alot of pressure (due to leverage) on the hafting
Do you feel that the bond between the rock and bone is solid enough?

Allyn T:
Thanks Rob and m2a, I also like seeing finished stuff on here. I wish more people showed off their work.

Glis, handle length for me is more about comfort, I don't like short handles. As for levering, a knife is a cutting tool you really shouldn't be prying with it or exerting much pressure. Now this is my first knife I've ever made but I feel very confident in the fit. I used a file to match the notch to the stone and the dry fit was fantastic, no wiggle. I added pine pitch and it hardened before I put the blade in so I had to melt it again and fit the blade immediately. After that I went around the whole joint with more pitch including filling in gaps where the bone is hollow. Sinew you came last, I chewed it soft and wrapped it with multiple strands. I think it'll be solid, feels good in the hand

GlisGlis:
very well. thankyou for your reply. I hope you can put it in use very soon  (SH) :-D

Allyn T:
You did make me curious and last night I grabbed the blade in one hand and the handle in the other and tried to wiggle it, nothing moved. I didn't try my hardest but I put enough pressure on it that I'm not worried it'll ever pop loose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version