Author Topic: Finally made a knife  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Finally made a knife
« on: November 16, 2022, 03:24:12 pm »
I was able to keep a large piece together for once. Making a knife has been a goal of mine for a while but I either lose too much material or I break. I'm glad to say I finally did it. This is gonna be my new field dressing knife so cross your fingers I get a deer this year. The handle is bone I found in the creek this summer and it's connected with pine pitch and sinew from a deer I killed in 2020.

In the woods I find my peace

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Finally made a knife
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 06:04:57 pm »
Nice work!  Hope you get to use it soon! :-D  (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 06:29:58 pm »
 :OK :OK two thumbs up for that one Allyn

That’s a lot nicer than my first knife

Is that from stone you found?

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 07:31:45 pm »
Thanks guys, no this is from a bunch of random stone I bought at MoJam. I'm not sure what it is but it's high grade!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 09:01:31 pm »
Nice work

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 08:52:47 am »
Real cool. Congrats, on keeping it in one piece! Always like to see finished/hafted pieces shown off on the site here.
Mike 

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 11:49:05 am »
Very nice blade. it looks more than fit for the job.

However there is a question that pop in my mind every time I see knives like your.
It seems to me that such a long handle could exercise alot of pressure (due to leverage) on the hafting
Do you feel that the bond between the rock and bone is solid enough?

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 06:48:50 pm »
Thanks Rob and m2a, I also like seeing finished stuff on here. I wish more people showed off their work.

Glis, handle length for me is more about comfort, I don't like short handles. As for levering, a knife is a cutting tool you really shouldn't be prying with it or exerting much pressure. Now this is my first knife I've ever made but I feel very confident in the fit. I used a file to match the notch to the stone and the dry fit was fantastic, no wiggle. I added pine pitch and it hardened before I put the blade in so I had to melt it again and fit the blade immediately. After that I went around the whole joint with more pitch including filling in gaps where the bone is hollow. Sinew you came last, I chewed it soft and wrapped it with multiple strands. I think it'll be solid, feels good in the hand

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 02:55:36 am »
very well. thankyou for your reply. I hope you can put it in use very soon  (SH) :-D

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 06:36:45 am »
You did make me curious and last night I grabbed the blade in one hand and the handle in the other and tried to wiggle it, nothing moved. I didn't try my hardest but I put enough pressure on it that I'm not worried it'll ever pop loose.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 09:21:28 am »
 :OK :OK :OK

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2022, 02:11:29 pm »
Allyn…I made this for my dad out of that rock you gave me.  Lemme know if you have any more of that you would part with…I’ll buy it…because it seems to suit my “style.”  Thanks again for the rock man.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 02:49:46 pm »
Love that bone handle too, BTW.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2022, 08:33:15 pm »
Hey that turned out well! I'm glad you were able to get some good stuff made from it. I'm afraid I'm gonna hold on to what I have left, we are switching states and I won't have access to that kind of rock any more. If we ever cross paths in person I'd throw ya some for sure but I don't think I'll ever sell rock, seems wrong.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 01:56:09 pm »
I fully understand that.  I haven’t been doing this long enough to know what really good rock is for sure, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say that it is REALLY good rock.  You should try to get in where you collected it and get what you can before you move anywhere.  I hope that you find out the bow wood, arrow shaft, and knapping stone resources are awesome wherever you are moving.