Main Discussion Area > Shooting and Hunting

Fixed crawl shooting breakthrough

(1/2) > >>

Black Moshannon:
Hi all, it may seem dramatic to call it a breakthrough but what else can I say. After watching the Push on YouTube and listening to the podcast for some time I still had refused to break down and do a fixed crawl because I heard a variety of concerns with selfbows and was not sure how I could apply it to a more primitive application but today all that changed. I set up one of my bows as an experiment with middle finger roughy pulling just at balance point of bow center with a fixed crawl setup at 22 yards. I first locked a ninety degree nock point in with another tie on nock point made of waxed linen. This was my biggest concern, that the arrow wouldn’t be held securely. But with my nocks already cut to clip on for my three under shooting they clipped and locked right in with the second nock point underneath. Then I played with How far down to crawl and ended up with roughly 5/8 below and a point on of 22 yards. This is so short down from the arrow that the lower nock point was just continued down into one large wrap to 5/8 below where my tab contacts against it. Feels very safe and secure. Then all the rest was shooting as per usual, with my paying attention to the important details of the shot cycle. Anchor was the same, all the same. I was stunned to see the results, the shot felt entirely different. It seemed like the arrow was releasing so much cleaner off the string. Minor windage errors cleaned right up. And the gap is the really exciting part. My maximum gap is 10 inches at 12 yards. At five to ten yards the gap is like five inches. At fifteen yards the gap is around 8 inches and gets smaller again going back to 22 yards. So aiming now is so easy it feels like I’m cheating. I just put the point right below the target, run the shot with discipline and bam, I’m in. Only complaint is it seems the shot is a little noisy. I’ll deal with it, the payoff is going to be huge. Just had to throw this post out here. Will see where it goes from here.

Black Moshannon:
Just as a point of interest related to this I have also changed up my gear to match the style I am shooting in as far as I am now building 66-68” ASL style bows with stable cut close to center rigid grips. I just finished a hickory and yesterday another elm one. Again making shooting much easier than my formerly shorter working handle and very unstable little bows which I either used for firewood or selling if they were halfway decent. Moving on to doing only what works trying to make “stylistic” stuff was not cutting it 

StickMark:
Regarding historical styles versus not exactly historical styles, I see your point.
Each state and area has its own regulations.  Driving back to the Ozarks, I kept seeing places in the plains and prairies to set up a close ambush. In Utah this fall, saw dozens upon dozens of pronghorns feeding in the fields and right up to the stacked round bales. A brush blind or Haybale Blind and I might bring a shorty sinew bow.

Yet, stacking arrows is a nice feeling, and I enjoyed reading your journey.

Allyn T:
I have no idea what fixed crawl means

Black Moshannon:

--- Quote from: StickMark on November 17, 2022, 08:28:30 pm ---Regarding historical styles versus not exactly historical styles, I see your point.
Each state and area has its own regulations.  Driving back to the Ozarks, I kept seeing places in the plains and prairies to set up a close ambush. In Utah this fall, saw dozens upon dozens of pronghorns feeding in the fields and right up to the stacked round bales. A brush blind or Haybale Blind and I might bring a shorty sinew bow.

Yet, stacking arrows is a nice feeling, and I enjoyed reading your journey.

--- End quote ---

I hear you on that close ambush, that’s my dream goal. I’m getting rid of treestand I just bought cause shooting out of it I just couldn’t get the angle right and I was going to impinge my shoulder again. It’s ground hunting or nothing for me. Just read G Fred Asbell ground hunter Bible. Love it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version