Main Discussion Area > Bows

Does recurving a self-bow help with performance?

(1/5) > >>

Tommy D:
I know that this is one of those questions where someone can invariably say “It depends … on the wood, the tiller, the mass etc…”

So let’s just say you execute everything perfectly with great bow wood …. Does recurving a self bow gain you significant performance?

Or would heat treating a bow into a reflex deflex profile be more appropriate/ easier to execute?

Selfbowman:
Yes the trick is to make the recurve a working recurve and keep the mass out of the ends. You better be good at tiller to make the recurves work. Any time you move the tips forward with out excessive mass you get better performance.

bradsmith2010:
wow thats a tricky one,,a well made straight tip bow can shoot pretty hard,,my recurve bows have not been that much faster if any, but Im not that good at the recurve thing,, I think from what I have read,, the perfectly executed recurve would be a bit faster,,
ok that being said,, a sinew backed recurve I think is easier to execute,, because the sinew will hold the the profile a little better than a all wood bow,, and is probably gonna shoot harder than a all wood bow,,

WhistlingBadger:
My understanding is that the main point of static curves is to reduce string pinch on a shorter bow, thus making it more forgiving.  Correct?

Muskyman:
So I’m guessing even reflex would improve performance?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version