Author Topic: Does recurving a self-bow help with performance?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Tommy D

Does recurving a self-bow help with performance?
« on: November 18, 2022, 12:26:35 pm »
I know that this is one of those questions where someone can invariably say “It depends … on the wood, the tiller, the mass etc…”

So let’s just say you execute everything perfectly with great bow wood …. Does recurving a self bow gain you significant performance?

Or would heat treating a bow into a reflex deflex profile be more appropriate/ easier to execute?

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Does recurving a self-bow help with performance?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 03:08:59 pm »
Yes the trick is to make the recurve a working recurve and keep the mass out of the ends. You better be good at tiller to make the recurves work. Any time you move the tips forward with out excessive mass you get better performance.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 04:23:32 pm »
wow thats a tricky one,,a well made straight tip bow can shoot pretty hard,,my recurve bows have not been that much faster if any, but Im not that good at the recurve thing,, I think from what I have read,, the perfectly executed recurve would be a bit faster,,
ok that being said,, a sinew backed recurve I think is easier to execute,, because the sinew will hold the the profile a little better than a all wood bow,, and is probably gonna shoot harder than a all wood bow,,

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 04:36:49 pm »
My understanding is that the main point of static curves is to reduce string pinch on a shorter bow, thus making it more forgiving.  Correct?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 04:45:15 pm »
So I’m guessing even reflex would improve performance?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 04:49:37 pm »
With selfbows there is give and take, by adding recurves you strain the limbs more so yes, recurving a bow can add to its cast but depending on how much strain it causes to the working limbs it could be a mute point because the strain can overpower the expected performance gain. I think it's in TBBII, the chapter on recurves it says the farther forward of the handle the tips are the more performance can be expected. I believe that refers to recurves and reflexed limbs. I also think it says that static recurves are faster or give better performance than working recurves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 08:10:30 pm »
If when you are finished with a straight limbed bow that keeps a couple inches of reflex, and after you are done shooting the bow it snaps back to it's original shape after taking it down you will have built a snappy bow. Not quite as fast as a recurve , but close enough for hunting purposes. A fire hardened slimmer than normal hickory bow will do just  that done properly. Makes a fine shooting bow.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 08:45:45 pm »
I built a static and it shot well and yes it puts more strain on the inner limbs but I feel the added mass negated the end result. I built a working recurve boo backed Osage that shot further than the modern longbow record. I built a selfbow on the same design and it shoots within five yds of the boo backed bow. I look forward to next years flight shoot with that one. Here is some pic.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 08:47:18 pm »
Selfbow

Offline bassman211

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 08:50:24 pm »
Nice Arvin.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 09:45:24 pm »
My understanding is that the main point of static curves is to reduce string pinch on a shorter bow, thus making it more forgiving.  Correct?

Yes I also think helps with increasing string nock groove angles on shorter bows. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 09:52:18 pm »

Yes I also think helps with increasing string nock groove angles on shorter bows.

All of which allow for a shorter but higher strained bow design. It also serves to greatly increase early string tension which will increase performance.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 10:02:30 pm »
Damn Arvin, that bow is beautiful. Just love the profile.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 10:05:55 pm »
If looking to heat treat white wood it’s hard to beat performance of a hickory properly heat treated with flipped tips and some build in reflex.  There are limits with hickory but it’s pretty tough.  Moisture is a problem for hickory especially in robbing performance.  Thinning out the flipped tips will keep mass to a minimum and help with cast.  They can be working flipped tips or recurves depending on preference I suppose.  There is a wall or limits that the limbs can be strained to  Especially with stains or full recurves.  I would back my recurves for safety too.  Hope this helps. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 10:14:40 pm »
Selfbow

Beautiful - did you heat treat it to the same form as the bamboo backed one.

On looks alone it should beat the competition!