Author Topic: Lake Effect Snowstorm last night  (Read 1385 times)

Offline BrianS

Lake Effect Snowstorm last night
« on: November 18, 2022, 09:10:01 am »
Hello Everybody,
Video of the Lake effect snow last night. Snow band luckily moved a bit this morning to give us a chance to dig out. NWS is predicting it will return later today and dump another 18 plus inches.
take care, brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1hzOrxQfuA

Offline Stoker

Re: Lake Effect Snowstorm last night
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 09:38:40 am »
Stay safe and warm. That's a good snow dump
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 09:47:17 am »
 Might be the motivation I need to get tractor off the topper. Remove the dual wheels and change the power take off to 540rpms. Then take it to my place hook it up to my snowblower and service my snowblower.

We can get that Lake effect here to Brian, but usually not as much as you guys get. When conditions are right though we can really get a pile of snow.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 09:51:44 am »
That's snow buddy.I think it's the reason my lower back is stiff in the mornings on the farm.Getting yourself out is easy enough but the animals need to get out and be tended too.
Day and a half snow storms with 50 mph winds are polarizing events.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 11:10:45 am »
Been working on the drive since early morning. Finally got it passable a few minutes ago. Just in time for the lake effect band to shift back and start dumping again. Very heavy water content in the snow which makes removing it a major job.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 02:54:31 pm »
All kinds of different types of snow.
I don't envy you Brian with a foot and a half already.I'm sure the trusses on buildngs are made with 2" by 12" in your area....ha ha.
The heavy wet sticky kind which is what you got now Brian.The light fluffy kind.The sugary kind.
If that light fluffy kind is blown in hard enough it'll make snow drifts hard enough to drive on.
The wet stuff strains your back shoveling it.
The sugary kind is hard on the dogs feet.Like sand paper.
All a person can do is move it around out of the way and wait till spring.I did know a fella with a small yard haul it out into the field with a manure spreader though.
Then the wind will change and blow it back in the next day.

It's best to wait till the storm is done.Waste of time otherwise.I'm on call all winter long to move snow here.
Usually the kids have a blast this time of year sleddin and making caves in the huge piles of snow.Never did buy a snow mobile but thought about it hard a few times.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:07:03 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 07:12:29 am »
The last snowfall totals I saw yesterday had my town at 30 inches. Orchard Park which is where the Buffalo Bills play and is about 12 miles away from me had 60 inches since it started snowing Thursday night. I think they have moved the game out of state. It snowed more last night and it is suppose to snow through Sunday so  those numbers will probably be more before it's over. I decided to not go hunting at my camp and stay home and keep things open for my wife. The snow this time is that heavy wet snow so it is a pain to clear. Maybe if the weather improves next week I will get out hunting but her safety comes first.
take care Everybody,
brian

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 04:21:44 am »
Be safe Brother  (S) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 04:59:13 am »
With that much snow I imagine the local services have some huge snow moving equipment for the community to be able to get around.Hauling the snow out would probably have to be done as you would run out of room piling it up.
I've seen huge snow blowers up in North Dakota before clearing the interstate.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 10:16:21 am »
Ed,
The Highway crews use mostly very large dump trucks with plows and salters. The DOT does have some blowers like you describe. Loaders and big pickups with plows clear the parking lots. Driveways are cleared with snow throwers (ether walk behind or on tractors), pickups with plows or hand shoveled. Everybody does a pretty good job cleaning up after storms for the most part. On some of the huge storms the National Guard is sometimes here to help. If the snow piles up too high and there is no room to pile it, the piles are removed with loaders and trucked away. On a few rare storms, private contractors have been used to clear roads with dozers and loaders but that is rare. The average person around here just deals with it the best they can and helps out their neighbours but we do have a small share of folks that are jerks. When you see someone in the ditch it is likely someone with a 4x4 truck with poor tires who thought they were unstopable. Braking is the same whether you have 4x4 or 2wd. Some Winters are mild and some are tough. Some folks like to brag about how much snow they got compared with their friends. The out of state news reporters tend to exaggerate how bad a storm is. This one dumped a bunch on parts of the area other areas received much less. Typical lake effect snow bands. The sun is shinning here today with about 30 inches on the ground at my place. As you know snow settles so I would guess over 3 feet fell at my place. Here is a video I made a few years ago on how We deal with Old Man Winter here.
take care,
brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39lwPSrTTzw

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 10:27:15 am »
I imagine so.Bragging about accumulations of snow is something only for the foolish unless it's someone who speaks out of turn thinking they have got it the worst.Fools who think they can buck mother nature are only fooling themselves.
The weather service is usually always an alarmist type service all because there are all kinds out there to be warned.
For people who are used to dealing with these things it's always the attitude prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 10:38:13 am »
Yeah it’s nice to have weather warnings to help us prepare for storms, but I could do without the drama and hype with every storm that develops.

Be careful with shoveling that wet heavy snow Brian. I’m sure you know it but it definitely causes heart attacks every year.

Your video did inspire me to put my tractor on snowblower and get it all serviced.

Like Ed said. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

So far I haven’t had to use my snowblower and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if I didn’t have to all winter.

Bjrogg

Offline BrianS

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 10:54:43 am »
Ed,
Mother Nature will always Win. You are correct about about all kinds of People and how they deal with Storms. Most are good but there are some that just are Idiots!
Bjrogg,
I have been pacing myself with the snow removal (No rush now that I am retired). Had a few mechanical issues with equipment but I have dealt with those. Before I retired, one of my jobs at work was clearing snow for a Church and School. Getting up early, driving to work before the roads were plowed and staying late at night to clear everything. There was a lot of responsibility on my and the guys I worked with shoulders to keep things open and safe for the Kids, Teachers and Parishioners. At times it was challenging and although I miss the Parishioners, Teachers and Kids, I do not miss the job of clearing snow.
take care, brian

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 11:15:10 am »
Yes I understand that pressure.

For many, many years we removed snow from our church parking lot and our hall and sidewalk & steps.

We donated it at no charge.

We quit when we started getting nasty calls from people who rented the hall and expected us to clean the parking lot for them. They didn’t realize we didn’t get paid for it. Or even told when the hall was rented out.

Now it is hired out.

Bjrogg